Trans Brake 6R80 Auto V6

White Wolf

Dec 10, 2018
Las Vegas NV
Question. Does anyone use a Transbrake on their V6 Mustang Auto? If so what brand? What does it stall up to? Do you have any problems with it Creeping forward?

I installed a JMS Launchmax by a good shop in town and the car stalls up to 4,000 rpm with my new Circle D Torque Converter yet it also CREEPS forward. I have talked to a number of people local but they really do not know and are guessing. I tried talking to JMS but their tech department is terrible and I got no good answers there.

I had one speed shop tell me to rebuild all the clutches in the tranny to a tune of $4,000 which is OUT. Surely there must be a semi easy fix here? Not every V6 with a transbrake is Creeping.

HELP?

• Sponsors (?)

I can't help you any but you are the only person I know with a transbrake. I 'thought' they were people who used the factory transmission. With a 4,000 rpm stall torque converter, I don't see why a transbrake would be needed. Like I said I don't know much about this and good luck :)

Hi David. My 6R80 Transmission is the stock original. I just upgraded the torque converter to a Circle D which has a 4,000 Stall. What that means is technically when you have a transbrake you should be able to push a button that locks the transmission between Reverse and 1st gear making it hold steady at the line. At the same time you press the gas pedal to the floor and the RPM's go up to what ever stall speed torque converter you have. In my case revs up to 4,000. Then you let go of the button and the car begins the RACE at 4,000 RPM off the line vs per say 1,000 or 2,000. If everything is working right it can be a big difference in your 60 foot times which would lead to quicker 1/4 mile time.

Hope that all makes sense. Point being I have some money into the torque converter $1300, labor to install $500, launch max $200, transbrake button $200 install etc. and I need it right. I got a tip from someone last night they had the same issue once with JMS launch max and pointed me towards JPC Racing. I am calling them today and have a talk about a possible transbrake they offer to replace this one.

Thanks again.
Craig