trans cooler install write up for the 4r70w

03ghoststang

Jul 16, 2005
Los Angeles, California
here is a quick write up for doing a trans cooler on a automatic stang with the 4R70w.

The return line on this is the top line on the radiator.just to clear that up...

Here is the kit i bought it's the B&M transcooler with everything on it except the correct fitting for the return line adapter the trans kit #is 70264

you will need to buy additional trans cooler hose from the auto parts store

nr0lmu.jpg

Ok so first off i raised the car high enough to get the clearance to remove the trans pan and drain the fluid and replace the filter, that way the new trans cooler setup would run on new fluid. After that was done i replace the filter and placed the pan back and torqued the bolts to spec. After i removed the battery and relocated the coolant bottle but i did not disconnect any of the coolant lines there is no need to the radiator fan will also have to be removed and the coolant hose was removed from the radiator to remove the fan. I also removed the black trim piece that holds the prop rod to make thing more convinient. In some of the pics you will see that i also removed the front bumper along with the lighting assembly part of teh convinience deal.

Here in theis pic i used the fitting that comes in the kit that connects to the radiator, but the fitting to the trans line will not fit and if you don't want to cut the line you will need to buy these fitting from home depot it worked for me and there is no leakage
nr0u80.jpg

the fittings are a 1/4 female coupling and a 1/4in. with a 3/8 barbyou can kinda see from the pic..

i routed the lines to clear everything and making sure that they didn't have any sharp bends to them like so...
nr15dy.jpg

the yellow arrow show the line going from the radiator to the B&M cooler

the blue arrow shows the line going from the B&M cooler to the trans return line

This is how it looks finished sorry for the bad pic but you can kinda see how it is set-up
nr18nm.jpg

here is another pic of the set-up at the radiator

nv13k0.jpg

Here is 2 pics from how it will look like in front of the condenser with the lines attached
nv14lz.jpg

nv16hz.jpg

After install i refilled the trans with fluid, placing everything back I checked for leaks and fotunately i didn't get any while running the car checked the level it was ok and after 2-3 hours of install with a few interuptions i finished my trans cooler. so what you guys think of my write up any questions just ask me and i'll try and help out as much as possible. :nice:

Attachments

• nr0lmu.jpg
    nr0lmu.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 1,580
  • nr0u80.jpg
    nr0u80.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 3,810
  • nr15dy.jpg
    nr15dy.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 585
  • nr18nm.jpg
    nr18nm.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 669
  • nv13k0.jpg
    nv13k0.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 562
  • nv14lz.jpg
    nv14lz.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 632
  • nv16hz.jpg
    nv16hz.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 1,218
  • Sponsors (?)

ok guys i have some temp numbers on the tranny i know for a fact before it would be over 200* now it averages between 165-190*, the temp goes down alot in the highway and in the streets its between 180-190* so i say it's a real good mod for the auto. I monitored it through my diablo sport well my friend was looking at the temp. :nice:

Fitting for trans cooler

As most of you may already know, the fittings that come with the FRPP trans cooler (and, as I understand the B&M cooler) do not fit! After a lot of search I found a fitting at Summit Racing, # DER-13024 ($7.99). Installed it today and it works! BTW, on my car (2001 GT) the return line is really 3/8 and not 5/16 as some have claimed in this forum...