Trans cross memeber!

Reddevil91

15 Year Member
Mar 3, 2010
So while I’m wrapping up my brakes, I remember while driving especially during deceleration is seemed like I had a bit of vibration in the shifter. While under the car I looked at the transmission mount and cross memeber which from what I can remember are stock. The bushings on the cross memeber look beat, and the bolts holding said memeber were loose and I’ve tried tightening them but they seem seized. The trans mount could be replaced for sure. Should I reuse my stock cross memeber or buy an adjustable version? If I were to just reuse my stock cross memeber what mount and bushings should I use? If I go after market what’s a good version? Seen some on LMR from SMR, and FRPP that look stock like but are adjustable. Then there is stifflers but those seem expensive. 3152F624-8316-46CF-AB79-BD8F0EE70B76.jpeg 253E11D3-3C34-4DAA-B805-D66AA1099BC2.jpeg 62D599AD-6041-455B-92A8-CD478663D380.jpeg 165A8744-25FC-4CA4-83FD-E5DA4155D775.jpeg

• Sponsors (?)

I have never seen a need for anything over the stock crossmember except when going to a different transmission like the T-56 due to the mounting points being in a different location.

I recommend just doing the bushings in the cross-member and the transmission mount.

Reactions: 1 user
I have never seen a need for anything over the stock crossmember except when going to a different transmission like the T-56 due to the mounting points being in a different location.

I recommend just doing the bushings in the cross-member and the transmission mount.
Thanks that’s what I figured, appreciate that

yeah not much if any at all to gain but going to a different cross member. If you were rocking a 3550,tko or t56 then yeah you would need to slide the mounting point back some or just use a AOD crossmember. But since your not just replace the bushings with flavor of choice.

yeah not much if any at all to gain but going to a different cross member. If you were rocking a 3550,tko or t56 then yeah you would need to slide the mounting point back some or just use a AOD crossmember. But since your not just replace the bushings with flavor of choice.
So I did buy a new tranny many years ago for my other 5.0 that I wrecked then swapped into my current car when I bought it. It’s an older Tremec 3550 from what I can remember but maybe I am wrong.
5847C89C-63DB-4D09-87BA-9696B53964CC.jpeg

So I did buy a new tranny many years ago for my other 5.0 that I wrecked then swapped into my current car when I bought it. It’s an older Tremec 3550 from what I can remember but maybe I am wrong.
5847C89C-63DB-4D09-87BA-9696B53964CC.jpeg

That is the main case number which only tells you that it was made in 1996 or later. You need to look at the ID tag which is typically on the left side of the transmission near the tail housing and has one or two letters followed by six digits. That'll tell you everything about it but to confirm it's a 3550/tko verses a T5 just count the number of bolts used to bolt down the shifter. Four bolts would be a T5, six bolts is a 3550/tko. To tell if it's a tko or 3550 you would need to count the splines on the input shaft or look up that ID tag.

That is the main case number which only tells you that it was made in 1996 or later. You need to look at the ID tag which is typically on the left side of the transmission near the tail housing and has one or two letters followed by six digits. That'll tell you everything about it but to confirm it's a 3550/tko verses a T5 just count the number of bolts used to bolt down the shifter. Four bolts would be a T5, six bolts is a 3550/tko. To tell if it's a tko or 3550 you would need to count the splines on the input shaft or look up that ID tag.[/QUOTE
Ok so I’m guessing it’s not a 3550, guess it was a Tremec T5 bc this is the number on the tag by the tail 1352251 2405.

That is the main case number which only tells you that it was made in 1996 or later. You need to look at the ID tag which is typically on the left side of the transmission near the tail housing and has one or two letters followed by six digits. That'll tell you everything about it but to confirm it's a 3550/tko verses a T5 just count the number of bolts used to bolt down the shifter. Four bolts would be a T5, six bolts is a 3550/tko. To tell if it's a tko or 3550 you would need to count the splines on the input shaft or look up that ID tag.
Ok so I’m guessing it’s not a 3550, guess it was a Tremec T5 bc this is the number on the tag by the tail 1352251 2405.