Trans fluid change preventative maintenance

Rob Y

Sep 30, 2012
Need to have fluid changed in my 2003 GT trans. My mechanic who is also my nephew won't touch it and told me to go to the dealer. Said when he changed my brother in-laws fluid car never shifted right again. Called Ford and they wanted 170 dollars. Don't feel like spending that but I also don't want it to go to some hack. Could any qualify transmission shop do this correctly?

• Sponsors (?)

Automatic or 5spd? I've changed my tranny fluid in my 98 Gt 5spd plenty of times without any issue. You should have a T-3650 trans (if it's a 5spd) in that car, just check your vehicle tag. If there's a K where it says TR then it's a T-3650. If I remember right all Ford transmisions, both auto and 5spd use Mercon. Though I'm not sure if your year would use Mercon V or not. Have to check on that. If you change it yourself just make sure you put enough fluid back in. In my dealings with some shops I've noticed they never top off the trans completely.

If you want help you're going to have to stop offering up information only in drips and dribbles, first omitting what sort of transmission it is and now only giving a vague "shifting funny" when asked why you think the fluid needs changing.

Unless the fluid is low it will not be a cause of "funny" shifting, whatever that means.

Is the fluid level correct?

Is the fluid bright red in color or does is have a brown tinge to it?

Does the fluid have a "burnt" smell to it?

What, exactly, do you mean by "funny" shifting? Is it slipping? Shifting early? Late? Are the shifts hard or soft?

Reactions: 1 user