trans fluid change

Night Shifter

Dec 24, 2005
Daytona
im going to be changing the fluid in my trans this weekend but had a quick question on the refill..

somewhere i hear of someone draining the transmission, plugging it back up then pulling off the shifter and pouring the fluid into the transmission from the top...is that possible? will it fill up the same way? or should i just stick with filling it up the normal way?

thanks guys....kind of a dumb question i guess

• Sponsors (?)

i has a t-56... and yes to the dexron thingy but ive used pennzoil synchromesh in the past as well as gm symnchromesh for my t-45 and i never had any problems or issues so im using it this time as well...

do you have any other suggestions? i looked at mobil 1 which is what id rather have but i could only find the atf (didnt look very hard) and it was synthetic which i dont want to use in my tranny

i has a t-56...
:nice:

do you have any other suggestions? i looked at mobil 1 which is what id rather have but i could only find the atf (didnt look very hard) and it was synthetic which i dont want to use in my tranny

i dont. i was actually asking because ive been wanting to change my fluid out as well

just FWIW, the tremec website actually says Dexron III fluid for your t-56...excluding the t-56 found in a viper: TTC: Frequently Asked Questions

thank you!

i dont. i was actually asking because ive been wanting to change my fluid out as well

just FWIW, the tremec website actually says Dexron III fluid for your t-56...excluding the t-56 found in a viper: TTC: Frequently Asked Questions

awesome info! one of the main reason i started to use pennzoil was one of the guys i was working with had used it in all his mustangs and told me some jargin about why its good to use but that was a long time ago and i dont remember what it was lol..all i know is it works very well and was way better then the RP i was using..

ive heard good thing about valveoline maxlife ATF for the T-45 though

I much prefer filling it through the fill plug on the side of the transmission rather than remove the shifter. I know alot of people do it that way, but it's kind of like pulling a head off to fill your crankcase with oil. I'd rather not mess with my perfectly sealed shifter and risk creating a problem that didn't exist when I started. Grab an inexpensive fluid pump from your auto parts store and just pump it from the bottle(s) into the trannie via the fill plug.

Quick question on Trans flushes.. I was told and got some Amsoil ATF and told it was what is used on a manual trans.. Is this correct? I am going to be filling it through the top I am thinking, OP any issues with this? Only thing I have been warned is that the area getting the fluid to the bottom of the trans is somewhat small and it might overflow if you don't watch it (duh).

Quick question on Trans flushes.. I was told and got some Amsoil ATF and told it was what is used on a manual trans.. Is this correct? I am going to be filling it through the top I am thinking, OP any issues with this? Only thing I have been warned is that the area getting the fluid to the bottom of the trans is somewhat small and it might overflow if you don't watch it (duh).

Like twogts4us I also prefer filling from the fill plug on the side. Once you get the fluid up to the level of the hole you are finished. Usually takes 3L. Very easy with a small pump, a little harder manually w/ squeezing the bottle and 2 ft of tubing (my first time :) ). The top works but you don't get that good gauge of how much you have put in... but I guess you could just put in 3L :D.

Like twogts4us I also prefer filling from the fill plug on the side. Once you get the fluid up to the level of the hole you are finished. Usually takes 3L. Very easy with a small pump, a little harder manually w/ squeezing the bottle and 2 ft of tubing (my first time :) ). The top works but you don't get that good gauge of how much you have put in... but I guess you could just put in 3L :D.

I was going to undue the top fill plug and fill it till it comes out that. Is the ATF good or does it need the manual stuff? I was told Auto gear lube is what it needs.

Note:

Do not go off topic in the Tech sections. While the law may not go around in the Squeaky Wheel it sure as hell does here...

Thanks.

On topic:

A hand pump from the parts store works just fine.

i has a t-56... and yes to the dexron thingy but ive used pennzoil synchromesh in the past as well as gm symnchromesh for my t-45 and i never had any problems or issues so im using it this time as well...

I've been using RP Syncromax... is there something better besides Amsoil?

I've been using RP Syncromax... is there something better besides Amsoil?

I just put Amsoil ATF in mine and it feels much smoother now. I went through the shifter instead of pumping it through the fill plug. I didn't want to spend more time on my back under the car slowly filling it through the fill plug and the pump. No problems at all doing this. Took me a bit long but I took my time, roughly 2 hours from shift knob off to shift knob on and I even changed the shifter position as well in the process.

I changed my transmission fluid today and I didn't want to overtighten the drain plug when i was finished. Now i am seeing smoke coming from the drain plug. How tight should it be to prevent the smoke?