Trans fluid

Bluffing024

Mar 15, 2006
Somewhere
I just ordered an MGW for my 00 GT and I figured I would change the trans fluid at the same time. Should I go with Mobil 1, Amsoil, or Royal Purple? Also how much exactly does it take?

Is there any additives I could put in for some preventative maintenance? I found this on the Lucas website:

"Lucas Transmission Fix

Lucas Transmission Fix is a non-solvent formulas that stops slip, hesitation and rough shifting in worn transmissions and completely eliminates most seal leaks. Use in any transmission for preventative maintenance.Use also in light duty manual transmissions to increase shifting ease and transmission life.
Key Benefits

* Contains no solvents
* Lowers operating temperatures and stops foaming
* Can be added to existing fluid without draining any out
* Effective in an extremely high percentage of cases"

Would that be good to add to whatever fluid I go with?

:flag:

• Sponsors (?)

i've researched this a TON and the general concensus is a NO on the synthetic fluid and no on GM synchromesh

i installed my MGW today (you'll love it) and filled it up with Castrol Domestic ATF fluid which is just a fancy name for Mercon/Dexron III (even says so on their site), i couldn't find the Texaco havoline ATF at pepboys or autozone so i went with the non-syn conventional castrol

only driven her 5 miles so far (from work) so i'll chime in on the results later but things are noticeably smoother going into 2nd, even with the shorter throw

EDIT: wow i'm not that observant am i? didn't see the year of your car. my 'o2 has the good 'ol 3650

for your T45 go with the syn if you want, i have no opinion on the subject so ignore this post

i've researched this a TON and the general concensus is a NO on the synthetic fluid and no on GM synchromesh

i installed my MGW today (you'll love it) and filled it up with Castrol Domestic ATF fluid which is just a fancy name for Mercon/Dexron III (even says so on their site), i couldn't find the Texaco havoline ATF at pepboys or autozone so i went with the non-syn conventional castrol

only driven her 5 miles so far (from work) so i'll chime in on the results later but things are noticeably smoother going into 2nd, even with the shorter throw

EDIT: wow i'm not that observant am i? didn't see the year of your car. my 'o2 has the good 'ol 3650

for your T45 go with the syn if you want, i have no opinion on the subject so ignore this post

Thanks anyway!

How did the MGW install go?

How did the MGW install go?

cake

2 13mm bolts for the stock handle, 4 8mm bolts for the inner boot, then 4 13mm bolts for the shifter and it's off. comes with detailed instructions

buy a can of brake/parts cleaner and a rag to help remove the old gasket material in addition to the razor blade, makes it easier and alot cleaner

as far as fluid i wouldn't use additives. on my car you just need a 3/8 ratchet for the drain plug, not sure on the t45

So it shifts awesome huh?

I don't know what kind of difference it is gonna make on my car. I don't think I have a short shifter now, it looks like someone put an aftermarket handle on the stock shifter:shrug: But I think the MGW will be quieter and it will allow me to change the fluid during install.

Are the shift stops installed on a T-45?

2.jpg