trans swap issues

i just recently swapped out my t-5 for an aode and for some reason the car feels sluggish now. it seems to shift to soon and doesnt seem like it has any power at all in WOT. The car ran great before the swap. I have the f-cam and i wasnt sure if that cam was too big for the stock torque converter. The trans has 50,000 miles on it, so i was told. And it has a b&m shift kit. Doesnt feel like it has that either.

Any help would be appreciated thanks!!!!

• Sponsors (?)

Wow! There DOES exist at least ONE other person who went from manual to automatic. :nice:

I ended up going with an AOD, not an AOD-E so I can't help much though, sorry.

Did you get a stock computer for an AODE car? Or what did you doe about the tune? I hear the AODEs cause you to end up with less power at the wheels ... might that be enough to explain the difference?

Other than that, what else do you know about the transmission? Are you certain it was in good working condition?

The computers settings for the trans shift points are set for either 2.73, or 3.27 gears. If you have a different gear size/ or more power it will shift alot sooner. A tune will fix that.

you lose approx 10-20hp switching to auto. the torque converter is a heavy thing to spin.

i bought the car from my cousin and it originally had an auto in it. he changed it to the t-5 but the tranny was only in the car for abnout 10,000 miles before i took it out. I was told that this aode only had 50,000 miles on it and didnt have any problems. i purchased a W4H0 computer because thats what came in the car from the factory, but my car has 3:73's. The car never had issues with the shift points before, but the only difference is the cam. I was told this trans has a shift kit but i cant tell at all. it seems to shift to 2nd too soon.

Does it have the right little gear in the tailshaft to correct the speedo? If not, the computer will think it is going faster than it really is because the difference in (2.73 to 3.73) gearing and not having the speedo correction. That would affect the shift points.

Im not sure which gear it has, i used the 1 that came with the trans. And im not sure if the person before me ever changed it. Is there anyway to figure out which 1 i have? or where should i pick up the correct 1? i believe my speedo is off, i know it was when i had the t-5

The W4H0 car will most likely have an AODE transmission with an 8 tooth drive gear. If you have 3:73 gears there is no correct driven gear with the 8 tooth. A 23 tooth driven will be as close as you can get. An electronic recalibration device (SpeedCal, ect) will adjust for all gear and wheel size configurations.

Ill have to try something like that and see if it helps... The other issue is when I shift from park to reverse or drive, the car shuts off sometimes. I thought maybe that had to do with the stall being too small. I plan on gettin the car tuned next year after I install a turbo, but id like to get these issues clear first

The W4H0 will most likely have an 8 tooth drive gear. If you have 3:73 gears there is no correct driven gear with the 8 tooth. A 23 tooth driven will be as close as you can get. An electronic recalibration device (SpeedCal, ect) will adjust for all gear and wheel size configurations.
you probably just didn't say it the way you meant it .... the computer doesn't have any drive gears; the drive gear is in the back of the trans. you probably meant the aod-e that originally came in a W4HO car most likely has an 8-tooth drive gear?

i have read that on some transmissions, if the speedo gear by itself won't cut it, it is possible to change the drive gear to one with a different number of teeth. apparently though, some are made in such a way that you can't.

Ill have to try something like that and see if it helps... The other issue is when I shift from park to reverse or drive, the car shuts off sometimes. I thought maybe that had to do with the stall being too small. I plan on gettin the car tuned next year after I install a turbo, but id like to get these issues clear first

that is probably not the stall ... unless your rpms are above the stall speed, it would slip, not stall the engine.

do the RPMs go up and down (almost to where engine almost dies) for a while after you start it up? if so, and you put it in gear at the wrong time, then i can see it dieing.

or, there might be a problem with the solenoid that controls the torque convertor.

:shrug:

you probably just didn't say it the way you meant it .... the computer doesn't have any drive gears; the drive gear is in the back of the trans. you probably meant the aod-e that originally came in a W4HO car most likely has an 8-tooth drive gear?

I can't believe I wrote that. You are absolutely correct on both counts. I've corrected the post as well. Must be old age or to many late nights.

I let the car idle for a few mins before I shift out of park. It idles great while in park, then as soon as I shift to another gear it will sometimes just shut right.off

The change in engine load (moving from Park to Drive) is supposed to be in part controlled by the IAC valve. The solenoid may be sticking if it's the original part. Electronically controlled components often respond less quickly than when new.

the IAC is a new part, but i have adjusted it a little to help with my idle issues i was having. Just until the i get a tune for it. And i also adjusted the throttle stop screw a little. Not sure if that has anything to do with it. The car idled fairly good before i installed the auto trans, and I didnt change anything afterward. Thats why it doesnt make sense why im having the issues now.