Drivetrain TransGo AOD Hi-Rev Governor Kit

Middleagecrisis

Aug 23, 2020
Seguin
I recently a purchased a TransGo AOD Hi-Rev Governor Kit. The description where I bought it from said: "FEATURES: Hi-Rev Governor Kit, Full throttle up shifts at APPROXIMATE 5400-5900-6400-6800 RPM Selectively. Light to medium throttle automatic up shifts are still progressive/relative to throttle opening, rpm and road speed. This kit is included in AOD-HP Reprogramming Kit." After reading the Trans-Go installation instructions, there is no selectivity mentioned for "5400-5900-6400-6800 RPM" shift points, only the following statement in the instructions "If you want shifts at just above 5000 RPM then install the governor parts shown on next page." There is only one spring provided for the governor in this kit. My AOD (stock) is fairly fresh and already firmly upshifts under acceleration at 4900 rpm per the factory tach. The kit wants you to add a spring in the valve body for the 1-2 shift, but states in the instructions "This kit is intended to be installed along with or after installing the TransGo AOD Performance Shift Kit. Installing this kit without AOD kit will produce undetermined results." I bought this because I'm getting ready to do some mods (Heads/Cam/Intake) to my motor and wanted to get upshifts at 5800-6000 rpm, but installing this sounds like a good chance of screwing up my perfectly working, although low shifting, AOD. I'm currently running 3.27 gears and will be keeping them because I drive a lot on the highway (75 mph) when I take the car out. Anybody had experience with this kit?

• Sponsors (?)

I recommend this kit for the AOD. And if you need advice further than provided in the instructions, contact them.

I have this kit in my 93 AOD equipped convertible

Thanks for the recommendation! I looked at their shift kit and pressure regulator boost valve kit and might go this route. Couple of questions for you: Did you install this kit yourself? If so, trans in or out of the car? Also, what are using as a shifter? I'm not opposed to the stock shifter, but it just doesn't cut it when trying to manually shift from 1st to 2nd.

Installed it myself. Stock shifter. Here are WOT upshifts with the way I have it configured. These are with shifter in OD and trans shifting on its own.

1-2 is about 5300, and 2-3 is about 5000. If I leave it in OD and keep my foot down it will shift WOT into OD at 4500. So if I really want a strong run, I'll put the shifter in D to keep it from upshifting into OD so soon like it does. But the 1-2 and 2-3 auto upshifts are fine for me where they are. No need to manually shift.

View: https://youtu.be/bH_1oXoSBrc

Mind you, this is also a rebuilt trans with upgraded servo and 2" band.

Good stuff! Thank you for the video. My AOD was rebuilt by PO, so I have no idea if anything was upgraded. I highly doubt it, since they were the original owner and the car was stock (except flowmasters) when I got it. It firmly upshifts at 4900 from 1-2 and 2-3. I'm getting ready to add ported GT40P heads, a little hotter cam (210/220 .480/498) and a Typhoon intake. I also bought a 1 qt. deeper aluminum pan and a nice cooler for the AOD. Think I'll do the upgrades and see how the motor runs with the current shift points.

If that transmission is working good like you describe, I think you're making the right decision to leave it as is.

The AOD is not a very good performance transmission and it robs alot of power. Even with the 4.11 rear in my 93 convertible the car is still not very fast. I love it as a cruiser though, especially in nice weather with the top down. It's very enjoyable rolling down the road with some good tunes playing. It's a nice looking car and turns alot of heads too.

If your next mod is a 5 speed swap, i wouldn't waste my time installing a shift kit.
Keep this trans in good condition so you can sell it and recoup some money.

I installed a Baumann shift kit in my supercharged saleen explorer (i believe its the same trans as a fox except for it's computer controlled). Those guys have good customer service, so if you are going to go this route, just call them.
I also wouldn't go screwing with with the shift points if it's only adjustable internally until you know where the car really makes it's power.
Not hard to install, but it's messy. I also drilled and installed a drain plug at the same time.

Reactions: 1 user