Transmission/Clutch noise

TwinTurbo93

Founding Member
Jan 19, 2002
Orlando
I've got a nasty noise in my stock T-5 when the clutch is out with the car idling, its like a chattering noise and it sounds like my tranny is going to fall out from under the car. Its been through lots of abuse (2 turbo kits, nitrous) so all in all its done well, but it whines like a banshee in 1st-3rd gear. Is there anything that I can do to quiet it down until my AOD gets built? Does anyone know what specificly could be causing the chatter, if its the clutch I've got another one but it it wont help then I don't want to go through the trouble :nice:

• Sponsors (?)

Sounds like a throw out bearing to me. Actually, it's probably the t/o bearing chattering cuz the clutch is done. To double check, just lightly push the clutch pedal in. If it goes away as soon as there is some pressure, then, that's your answer. As for the whiney tranny, it's probably about ready to give up the ghost.

The transmission blew up last night. Pulled it out and the clutch and throwout bearing are fine, the input shaft on the transmission snapped and the teeth on 1-3rd look like the serated edge of a steak knife, I have to admit this thing took a BEATING for 5 years before breaking, R.I.P!