Drivetrain Transmission Cooler Line Connectors

88stangracecah

Oct 6, 2020
Georgia
1988 Ford Mustang LX 5.0/ AOD Trans

I am trying to figure out how to connect my transmission cooler lines to my radiator. I have what I think is the correct fitting but I’m trying to figure out what I need to connect the metal line to it. At the trans it uses a plastic connector which came with the fitting however the fittings for the radiator didn’t come with any connectors. Any help would be appreciated. I will include some pics if that would help. Thanks!

1st pic: Trans cooler lines
2nd pic: fitting that connects the cooler line to the radiator
3rd pic: fitting w/ plastic piece that connects the cooler line to the AOD Transmission

Attachments

• 8C6097CF-00D4-46A9-BC09-9B56B638543F.png
    8C6097CF-00D4-46A9-BC09-9B56B638543F.png
    109.5 KB · Views: 101
  • ABF59E7D-EC17-4D4A-93A3-D668E9AB1B2F.jpeg
    ABF59E7D-EC17-4D4A-93A3-D668E9AB1B2F.jpeg
    356.9 KB · Views: 103
  • EEF9E43E-F366-496B-976B-17CEBD54B1DC.jpeg
    EEF9E43E-F366-496B-976B-17CEBD54B1DC.jpeg
    180.7 KB · Views: 115
  • Sponsors (?)

The trans lines do not connect to the trans with a plastic piece, or at least I have never seen an aod line connect to the trans side with a quick connect fitting. If you are only replacing the lines, the trans should already have the correct metal fittings that the lines thread into. If the fittings are missing, I believe the middle photo is the fitting that goes into the trans, and the lines thread into those fittings.

Chris

The trans lines do not connect to the trans with a plastic piece, or at least I have never seen an aod line connect to the trans side with a quick connect fitting. If you are only replacing the lines, the trans should already have the correct metal fittings that the lines thread into. If the fittings are missing, I believe the middle photo is the fitting that goes into the trans, and the lines thread into those fittings.

Chris
Ok thank you Chris. I reached out to a transmission shop and the fitting with the plastic piece is the one they gave me I’m not sure why. But here’s the kicker my trans lines don’t have any threads on them would you happen the know the part number or fitting I would need to put on the lines and flare it to make them able to thread into the trans and radiator. Thanks for your help!

I would not worry about the lines into the trans. Get an aftermarket unit and put it in front of the rad (or A/C condenser). The cooler inside the rad is nothing more than a tube that connects the two fittings. Not a lot of cooling there. The only benefit of connecting to rad would be if you drive in cold weather it can help warm up the trans when below freezing.

I just installed a trans cooler from an Escape in behind my lower grill opening. I just connected the cooler to the factory line around the motor mount area with appropriate hoses.

we need a close up of the end of the trans lines....
I would not worry about the lines into the trans. Get an aftermarket unit and put it in front of the rad (or A/C condenser). The cooler inside the rad is nothing more than a tube that connects the two fittings. Not a lot of cooling there. The only benefit of connecting to rad would be if you drive in cold weather it can help warm up the trans when below freezing.

I just installed a trans cooler from an Escape in behind my lower grill opening. I just connected the cooler to the factory line around the motor mount area with appropriate hoses.

Ok thanks for the info I’ll definitely look into getting an external cooler. Just trying to connect everything for now so I can put in some fluid and get my car driving.