Transmission Cooler

afterburn

Apr 18, 2005
Baltimore, MD
I'm about to get the rest of my bolt-ons installed on Tuesday, and I'm already looking at my next project. I've been talked into a PI Stallion torque converter, FRPP 4.10s, a new tranny mount, and an Xcal 2. In addition to the mods listed in my signature, the only other thing I plan on doing is a 75 shot, for the forseeable future. (I need to finish college before I do custom engine/tranny builds and run boost.) Basically, my goal is to have a 12 second daily driver. I won't run the nitrous often; it's more of a "just in case", and I'm getting everything tuned.

I just wanted to explain my near-future plans to help qualify some of the responses I might get. The question is: will I need a transmission cooler? Down the road when I rebuild my powertrain, I will definitely get one. But do I need one now? I work full time+, but I'm still on a tight budget due to school.

Also, any recommendations on drag radials? A friend with a Marauder and I are going to go half in on a set.

• Sponsors (?)

2001sleeper said:
you need a cooler for sure. they are cheap and easy to install.
If you want a screaming deal on a PI converter, I will have one for sale soon.

Sounds like I'm gonna get a bunch of "yea"s for this, thanks for the info! How soon will it be for sale? I'm looking to do an install in 2-3 weeks.

I have several friends that are mechanics and swear by B&M when it comes to automatic transmissions, and I've read a lot of good reviews about their products. I found a cooler for a little under $80. What things should I be looking for in a cooler?

A transmission cooler is a must for any aftermarket transmission mods on the 4r70w automatic transmission.

You should be looking for a transmission cooler from a reputable company, and one that uses a fin design. I have the one from Steeda, and it works great. Been in there for 5 years now, and still works fine. The ones from B&M are also very good, especially the ones with the fan, which you can turn on for extra cooling.

As for the PI torque converter, I know this is probably going to get some crap started, but the lining of the lock up clutch in the PI torque converters is CRAP. If you have a single disc torque converter from PI it's not going to last. I speak with experience on this one.

You can always have the PI torque converter sent into a decent torque converter shop, and have the normal clutch lining replaced with high carbon friction lining, which will last the life of the converter. In fact, it will probably outlast the car itself.

Dark Knight GT said:
torque converter, I know this is probably going to get some crap started, but the lining of the lock up clutch in the PI torque converters is CRAP. If you have a single disc torque converter from PI it's not going to last. I speak with experience on this one.

You can always have the PI torque converter sent into a decent torque converter shop, and have the normal clutch lining replaced with high carbon friction lining, which will last the life of the converter. In fact, it will probably outlast the car itself.

They have some triple disks available too. Similar problems?

I was also looking at TCI's converters...but a couple of friends swung me towards PI.

afterburn said:
They have some triple disks available too. Similar problems?

I was also looking at TCI's converters...but a couple of friends swung me towards PI.
I had a PI stalltion single disk lock up torque converter in my car, and I began having problems with the clutch slipping. Clutch slippage leads to excessive heat and friction, which leads to the diminishing of the clutch lining. The raybestos material and kevlar material that a lot of companies are putting in these torque converters will NOT hold up to a wide open throttle lock up. The tripple disc design from PI seems to have produced good results for a lot of people, but I've personally never used one.

As for TCI, I've never used any of their converters, but I've heard they're built basically the same as the PI units. Whatever converter you get, I would get one that has been tested by REAL racers (such as the people on these boards) to produce good results, and holds up to wide open throttle lock ups. If you get a single disc torque converter, then I would only get one if it has a high carbon friction lining. The high carbon friction lining will last 100+ times longer than a raybestos lining will. Not to mention the high carbon friction lining has better lock up capability than raybestos, as it operates off friction.