Transmission crossmember differences

benny2

Jul 26, 2021
Minnesota
Hi guys, I'm a new member and happy to be here. I have a 74 mustang which I am currently in the process of swapping the rad-4 4 speed in instead of the original c3. I was wondering if their is a difference between the auto/manual transmission mount/ crossmember. The manual is in right now and it looks a little off center with the c3 crossmember. Thanks guys.

Reactions: 1 users
  • Sponsors (?)

Hi Benny,
I reused the dual hump crossmember on my 74 V6 for my V8/T5 tranny swap. At one point I was also thinking that it looks offset, but is running fine (if it has enough fuel and spark, but that is another story).
I have this link for you: http://www.mustangii.org/tech/tipsntricks/302swap.shtml
It seems like the crossmember can be used for everything: V6, I4 and V8. This also makes sense because Ford doesn't want to make parts twice (to save money).

Reactions: 1 user
Welcome to Stangnet!!

The transmission crossmembers are all interchangeable from the best of my knowledge. I've used different ones in different cars with no problems. The transmission looking like it's offset could be that the engine is also offset. I know the 302s are, they're like an inch or so off center to the left IIRC. I don't know if V6s or the 4 bangers are or not, but as @extra_stout says they don't want to spend a bunch of money on parts where they don't need to so I wouldn't rule that possibility out.