Transmission Decisions. Seeking Advice

351carlo

Mar 9, 2004
Philadelphia
So it's been over a year and a half with my toy, and she's come a long way. From a car that looked as if it had 3 maaco paint jobs, a cigarette factory burn holes in the doors, and a motor with no exhaust valve seats to a 357c torque monster.

Well I'm now planning to go to the next step, and I need my transmission upped a little more. It's currently an FMX, with a B&M Shift kit, and a SLIGHTLY higher than stock stall.. we're talking 2k max. Well my new camshaft is a solid grind, .570/.590, and it's gonna need something a little more. For a good 10'' converter, my pocket is gonna miss 500 dollars. So while I'm in the 500 dollar range, I was wondering what type of setup I can do for cheap.

So, if you had 500-750 dollars, what would you do? I dont think with over 450 hp at the crank, and about the same ft/lbs it'd be smart to go with a T-5, but an overdrive unit is attractive, as that would mean 3.89+ rear gears. If I went with another automatic, a C4 would definitely be the answer... but then the driveshaft would be too short correct?

Any advice is appreciated. Maybe I should run my FMX.... or will that blow too?

• Sponsors (?)

351carlo said:
So it's been over a year and a half with my toy, and she's come a long way. From a car that looked as if it had 3 maaco paint jobs, a cigarette factory burn holes in the doors, and a motor with no exhaust valve seats to a 357c torque monster.

Well I'm now planning to go to the next step, and I need my transmission upped a little more. It's currently an FMX, with a B&M Shift kit, and a SLIGHTLY higher than stock stall.. we're talking 2k max. Well my new camshaft is a solid grind, .570/.590, and it's gonna need something a little more. For a good 10'' converter, my pocket is gonna miss 500 dollars. So while I'm in the 500 dollar range, I was wondering what type of setup I can do for cheap.

So, if you had 500-750 dollars, what would you do? I dont think with over 450 hp at the crank, and about the same ft/lbs it'd be smart to go with a T-5, but an overdrive unit is attractive, as that would mean 3.89+ rear gears. If I went with another automatic, a C4 would definitely be the answer... but then the driveshaft would be too short correct?
?

You won't find a Tremec in your price range. An AOD to handle that kind of power is at least $1240 but they start from there and go up, up, up.. I think that you can get a TCI street figher C4 for under $750 that will handle up to 450 hp. The TCI Street Fighter AOD is $1240.

I think Jerry is on it on this one. A good tranny for that kind of hp numbers isn't going to be cheap. I learned the hard way about trannys after I bought 2 used ones and then had to buy a 3, got a beefier rebuilt one. Save up the money and get a good tranny the first time, you'll like yourself in the end.

a T-5 won't survive that power, nor will a Tremec-3560 out of a newer mustang. would take a TKO or better...

i think that the guys are on the right track with the TCI recommendation.

sorry, I was lazy and missed the "500-700" reference. Not asking for much, are ya? :rolleyes: :D

You wont get anything that you need in that price range unless you steal it. I would save my money until I could afford a real transmission..otherwise you'll redo it several times after breaking it.

You *might* get a rebuilt Toploader in the 800-900 range...(thats a SWAG). Thought about that?