Transmission Fluid??

tfritz

Founding Member
Sep 27, 2001
SoCal
I read up on Stangnet and found a few threads on transmission fluid. But I still have a burning question. My 2001 SVT Owners manuel says Mobile 1 Syn ATF, but going to the store they all say for Automatic transmission. Is that what the 2001 Cobra Tremec uses? Automatic transmission fluid and not a thicker gear oil? I checked my fluid and it looks like the thiner pink autotrans fluid.
Can you guys/gals please clarify this for me?

Thanks a bunch!! :D

• Sponsors (?)

Mine takes ATF

My Tremec TKO600 uses ATF (Automatic Transmission Fluid). Either Mercon or GM Syncromesh is what Tremec recommends for mine. If your owners manual says use ATF, then you're fine. The bottles probably say automatic transmission only(other than the obvious since it is ATF) to keep jacka$$' from putting it in a manual tranny not rated for ATF.
Checking on AMSoil's website, all 2001 transmissions (TR3650, T45, and MA5 automatic) all use the same synthetic automatic transmission fluid.
Here is thier link if you want see more fluid/maintanence stuff on your car. Just punch in your year, make and model. Then pick the "v code 32 valve" link.

http://www.amsoil.com/scripts/runisa.dll?amsoiloaf:index

Wow! Thanks for not laughing at me. lol I didn't even think of the acronym as Automatic Transmission Fluid....derrrr! I'm kicking myself, as you can see the time I'm posting this...I've spent all day on my car looking for a trans leak and just over looked that detail (ATF). :bang: Bwahaha. Thanks!

Oh...PS. The trans leak turned out to be right where the Steeda short throw shifter was installed. Bolts loosened and was spurting out from there, big mess. :(

pps: Oh yea, just curious...saw another thread saying you can fill you tranny from the top when I take off my Steeda shifter I figure I can fill it from there. Is that acurate?

Thanks again for the quick reply.

No problem...

Yeah, sometimes the obvious eludes us all when trying to deal with a problem. As for the fluid fill from the top, I'm not sure. Uncle Meat is a guy who almost always has the answer, or knows where to get it. All we need do now is wait for him to magically appear.....:hail2:

Yes, you can fill from the top at the shifter.

BUT, if you want to add new fluid from the fill hole on your TR-3650, make sure you are able to loosen the fill plug first before draining the old fluid out the drain plug - just to make sure everything goes smoothly. :cheers:

Awesome! Thanks for the help guys. Unfortunately I did it the hard way before I had a chance to read the replies...I bought a hand pump and filled it up from the fill plug (Pain in the a$$). Shifts like butter now. Replaced the fuel filter while I was down on my back...wow! That is a pain too! I used the plastic hose removel tools and those lines will not part with the filter easily.

My tranny leak was from my Triax-Shifter bolts to the tranny coming loose. They where backed out far enough to turn them by hand and the trans fluid was shooting up and out of the top at the shifter when I hit the higher RPMs. There was no lock washers with it, should there be lock washers holding that thing down? :shrug: