Transmission grenaded at 80 mph!!!

I have only had this car for 2 years and have always been gentle with it and never raced it. They're only 499 of these made and want to keep it for years to come. It is completely stock and want to keep I this way. Anyway, I have no I dea why ( neither does the reputable shop I took it to) my transmission grenaded at 80 mph shattering the housing and actually broke the drive shaft in my 95 Cobra 2 Top convertible. I'm lucky that dive shaft didn't blast right through the floorboard! It must have siezed some how. It had plenty of fluid that was changes 30k miles prior. I missed identified the a T-45 tranny and bought one used and realized the 95 takes the T-5. So I'm now on the hunt for a stock T-5 tranny. I'm searching the internet regularly, but checking to see if anyone here has a line on one?
Or does anyone have an idea why it exploded? I'm new to the forum and looking forward to your guys feedback. Thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

Welcome to Stangnet :SN:
I moved your thread to the ‘79-95’ General talk area . The members who frequent this section will be more likely to see and help you here.

Cobra 2-Top, would love to see some pics of it,as far as why it happened,no idea lol. No noises,grinds vibrations leading up to the explosion?

What gear were you in when it blew? 3rd?

Usually the T-5 just shears teeth off, not physically explode. The fact that the trans case shattered and damaged the driveshaft leads me to think there was a fatigue crack and some vibration in the driveshaft finally did it in.

The transmission in my old '86 GT fell apart in 5th gear at 70 on the highway. It didn't break the case, though. I found out when I swapped it out that the previous owner had filled it with gear oil instead of ATF.

The " Z spec " is supposed to be based off of the cobra. It s hould have the same gear ratios and the tapered input bearing.

What gear were you in when it blew? 3rd?

Usually the T-5 just shears teeth off, not physically explode. The fact that the trans case shattered and damaged the driveshaft leads me to think there was a fatigue crack and some vibration in the driveshaft finally did it in.

Good point, Mike. I think this kind of thing deserves a complete inspection of all driveline angles, too. This is unlikely to be a trans-specific cause.

Goodness they are proud of that!
At that price, I think I'd save $200 and call Tony at Astro and order the 425tq T5... or... save up another $200 and wait on the 575tq T5 to be on the shelf.
Good heavens! $2,300? Right next to "Everyday low price:" !!! I literally paid $1,200 new for a my early "TKO" (3550 w/ 26 spline) at one point. My my my. I'm stunned! I figured T5s were around $1-1.2k, these days.

I moved your thread to the ‘79-95’ General talk area . The members who frequent this section will be more likely to see and help you here.

Cobra 2-Top, would love to see some pics of it,as far as why it happened,no idea lol. No noises,grinds vibrations leading up to the explosion?
Thanks for the redirecting. I'm trying figure out how and where to navigate a forum workings.
That is correct, no warnings, no sound, smooth as ever then bang! Out of nowhere!
Will drop some pics as soon as I figure that out as well. Lol Thx again.

Thank you. Will post photos soon. No noises, vibrations or anything. Weird!