Transmission Harness Plugs

coffmaad

Nov 24, 2008
I think my problem might be in the transmission wiring harness that goes to the transmission. I am now thinking that my car was an automatic that has been changed over to a t-5. In the transmission tunnel, there are three plugs and I know one of them goes to the speed sensor which is already hooked up and the other one goes to the reverse lights. Where does the third connector plug into and is this harness still from the automatic?

• Sponsors (?)

Im not totally positive that it was an automatic. I didn't get a lot of history with the car. How many plugs should there be with a t5 harness and with the automatic harness?

The harness that comes out under the car in the trans tunnel has two plugs on an automatic, one goes to the speed sensor and the other goes to the neutral safety switch. But like stykthyn what is the car doing to make you think it is the trans harness? Have you pulled any codes? If so please list them.

The car is not cranking over and I have power coming out of the ignition switch (white/pink wire) but no power going to my clutch safety switch (red/light blue wire). I do not have anything hooked up on the transmission such as the reverse lights but I know this is not my problem. I am starting to think that the neutral safety switch has to be hooked up or bypassed so there can be power at the clutch safety switch. If so how I can bypass the neutral safety switch under the car.

Also if this helps, the speed sensor is plugged in and 1 of the plugs has 2 terminals and the other plug has 4 terminals.

Thanks for helping me out cause I'm new with mustangs because I have always messed with Camaro/Firebirds.

Ok, is there a way you can take a picture of the two plugs that are not connected?
Also what color are the wires going to each of those plugs. You mentioned a possible auto to t-5 swap correct? Also did you try to pull any codes yet that would help alot also.

It is possible that it was an AOD to T5 swap because the guy I bought the car off of wasn't very truthful with me and he SAID it was originally a 5 speed car. I have not tried pulling any codes.

TransmissionPlugs007.jpg
[/IMG]
This is the picture of the two plugs that are unhooked still.

TransmissionPlugs004.jpg
[/IMG]
Here is a closer look at each plug.

TransmissionPlugs011.jpg
[/IMG]
Here is the neutral safety switch located on top of the transmission that is unhooked.

Does this help out any and if so let me know what I can do!

4 Terminal Connector
black/pink
purple/orange
white/pink
red/light blue (this one is real hard to see if it actually has the light blue)

2 Terminal Connector
green or light blue/yellow
grey/pink

I just ordered the backup light harness so I can hook up the backup switch but what connector goes to the neutral safety switch on top of the transmission?

Also, thanks for providing detailed schematics.

AOD harness has 2 plugs in the tunnel. YOU have the T5 harness. The VSS plug is already plugged in. You now have to plug in the other two (one for neutral swtich on the top, the other for the reverse light switch on the driver's side. I imagine the reason why your car isn't starting is because the neutral switch isn't plugged in. I am doing this swap right now as a matter of fact. Hope to have her mobile by tomorrow eve.

It is the T5 harness and my problem was in the 4 terminal connector. I placed a jumper between the Bk/pk and p/o and also between r/lb and w/pk and now my car cranks over!!! Thank you to everyone who helped.

It does keep them on but I just wanted to find out if my car not cranking over was in the transmission harness somewhere. I ordered the reverse switch harness from CJ Pony parts and plan on hooking that up when it comes in and nothing be rigged up. I am currently not driving the car.