Transmission Kick down linkage leaking - fix?

Lottawork

Jan 20, 2008
I have an 64 1/2 Mustang, C4 automatic transmission, floor shifter. The kick down linkage on the trans is leaking fluid. I assume and hope there is a simple gasket replacement needed, but can't find any info in searches.

I'm needed to replace the pan gasket, so I'll have it open there if it helps. Or can I just tighten it up? The car has been sitting for about 15 years.
Thanks for any info.

• Sponsors (?)

I had to replace mine. You have to remove the pan and the big nut that retains the shift lever/actuator cylinder. It's either leaking at the seal (Red Arrows) which can be pried out and the new one tapped in with a little bit of sealer on the outer part.

The other seal (Blue Arrows) is the o-ring that seals the kick down shaft to the inner part of the cylinder. It simply slips into place, just lube it with some trans fluid.

You should only have to remove the valve body if the kickdown lever needs to be replaced.

TransSeal.jpg

Attachments

• TransSeal.jpg
    TransSeal.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 16,685
The valve body has to come out to remove the nut holding the shifter lever in place. I just did mine day before yesterday. I got rid of the downshifter rod altogether, didn't need it in a drag only car. Filled the hole thru the lever with RTV and let dry two days before adding fluid.

Great picture Tim65GT! :nice: Now I know what to look for. And thanks for the heads up D.Hearne on the nut.

So it's basically worn out and needs to be replaced?
Y'all have any links or sites for the part? I can't find it so far.