Transmission Noise

Hybrid707

Feb 26, 2020
California
Hello I have a 1994 5.0, My transmission has been making sort of a knocking or clanging noise until I put the clutch in, the noise stays constant in any gear at almost any rpm. The tranny doesn’t grind or pop out of any gears and I had the tranny out not too long ago and it didn’t seem like there was any play with the input shaft and even spun it over with the driveshaft and it wasn’t making any abnormal noises. I’m hoping it’s maybe a throw out or pilot bearing? Maybe someone has had this problem before. Thanks !

• Sponsors (?)

Yup, sounds like a bad clutch release (throw-out) bearing. Pull the dust shield over the clutch fork, and look in there with a flashlight. $30 part that takes about 4 hours to install.

Kurt

Yup, sounds like a bad clutch release (throw-out) bearing. Pull the dust shield over the clutch fork, and look in there with a flashlight. $30 part that takes about 4 hours to install.

Kurt
That’s what I was thinking but everywhere has been saying that it would be the opposite for the throwing bearing, as in the noise would happen when I push the clutch pedal as opposed to it silencing it

That’s what I was thinking but everywhere has been saying that it would be the opposite for the throwing bearing, as in the noise would happen when I push the clutch pedal as opposed to it silencing it

Disagree with what you have read; from experience. When you push the clutch pedal in, there is pressure on that bearing that alleviates the noise. When the clutch pedal is out, there is no pressure on it, and if it is cracked or deformed, it bangs back and forth off the diaphram making a bunch of noise.

Kurt

Reactions: 1 user
Disagree with what you have read; from experience. When you push the clutch pedal in, there is pressure on that bearing that alleviates the noise. When the clutch pedal is out, there is no pressure on it, and if it is cracked or deformed, it bangs back and forth off the diaphram making a bunch of noise.

Kurt
I’ll look into it, thank you Kurt !

Kurt
I looked through the dust cover hole and as far as I can see it looks relatively normal, although now with the car off my clutch makes a creaking or squeaking noise when I push it in

This is done with the engine off and all safety measures in place, I feel the need to stress this after the influx of 'stupid' in life. This is not personal.
Get a can of lubricant with the straw so you can direct it and not spray willy-nilly, hit the cone first with a shot, try not get the bearing yet, have someone push the clutch in a couple times, same with the pivot ball and then the tb. The spray lube may quiet the offender for a momet.
This is not a fix, it is a 'diagnostic tool '.

This is done with the engine off and all safety measures in place, I feel the need to stress this after the influx of 'stupid' in life. This is not personal.
Get a can of lubricant with the straw so you can direct it and not spray willy-nilly, hit the cone first with a shot, try not get the bearing yet, have someone push the clutch in a couple times, same with the pivot ball and then the tb. The spray lube may quiet the offender for a momet.
This is not a fix, it is a 'diagnostic tool '.
Yea I sprayed wd40 onto the pivot and it still made the squeek. Not concerned but just more of adding info. The transmission knock is still there so I will do the clutch soon. Thank you for all your help guys

Yea I sprayed wd40 onto the pivot and it still made the squeek. Not concerned but just more of adding info. The transmission knock is still there so I will do the clutch soon. Thank you for all your help guys

WD40 is an anti-corrosive, not a lubricant. Whenever you are trying to lubricate, use a can of white-lithium spray. There are a couple of squeak spots. The pedal assembly itself can squeak, white lithium. The cable needs to be lubricated, white lithium. The clutch fork rides on a ball inside the bell housing. You have to take the transmission out to get the fork out. You actually put full on bearing grease on the ball, not white lithium.

Kurt