Transmission out?

Jamessandlin

Aug 17, 2020
Kentucky
In dire need of help ASAP!

2009 v6 automatic

so this morning I got my car out of park and drove a mile fine, then it acted as if it were in neutral but it was in drive, pulled over and the reverse and drive both were not working after 1 mile.

the car still drives in 1,2,3 gear fine but it’s just the drive and reverse that are out, when changing to all gears I can hear the gears getting grabbed.

car just hit 200k last week and really hoping this might just sound like low fluid/filter problems and not the trans.

Before this specific problem happened sometimes when getting my car out of park it would make a really loud clunk noise but only when changing from reverse to drive or just reverse.

if anyone has any advice since I can’t change the trans fluid easily on this let me know! Also let me know what these symptoms are, currently an hour away from tools so I can’t really check much as of right now, but I use this car to make my money so I’m kind of just a sitting duck until I can find something out!

here is a video of me shifting the gears -
View: https://vimeo.com/488696480

• Sponsors (?)

Gonna try to check if the fluid is low today, I got it for 800$ haha I put 10k on it myself in a few months

That's fun on a car with no dipstick. If it's low, then it leaked somewhere. I'm fortunate to have a friend with a transmission shop one mile from where I live. Had the fluid and filter changed in mine earlier this year. They have special attachments for filling the thing from the bottom of the pan.

That's fun on a car with no dipstick. If it's low, then it leaked somewhere. I'm fortunate to have a friend with a transmission shop one mile from where I live. Had the fluid and filter changed in mine earlier this year. They have special attachments for filling the thing from the bottom of the pan.
Yeah it’s just an 8mm and 22mm wrench for the pan and plug, you use a transfer pump to get the fluid back up into the pan, but I’m about an hour away from my family and have no tools and low on money because I doordash and haven’t been able to work

Fluid won't be low unless you have a leak. Mine took a dump at 117,000 Worn servo bores in the transmission. Put a remanufactured trans from Ford. Ford screwed the pooch when they eliminated the dipstick.

Reactions: 1 user
It could be something simple but odds are the transmission is done. The 5R55 transmission is not Ford's best design effort and is known to fail at any time after 100k miles. Especially if fluid and filter changes have not been done regularly. If the transmission in your car is original then it has lasted far longer than expected. At 200k miles this could even be its second transmission failure. You probably need to replace it. Don't wast money rebuilding it just buy a remanufactered replacement with a 3-5 year warranty. Keep in mind that the V6 in your car is also not that reliable as the miles run up. At 200k miles, and if it is the original, untouched engine, then it will likely need the timing chains and guides replaced sooner rather than later. Most times people will just install a remanufactured engine for little additional cost since the engine has to be removed to replace the chains and guides. The cost of these two repairs will be worth more than the car. You might want to consider buying a low miles used transmission from a salvage yard since you have the V6 and it being a huge potential problem going forward. You can have $5k-$6k into transmission and engine repairs in a short period of time. Is the car worth spending this kind of money to keep it on the road?

I would recommend taking the $3k for the transmission replacement and applying it to buying another vehicle. If you must buy a V6 Mustang then get a 2011-2014 model since the engines and transmissions in these are much, much more reliable. Or get a manual V8 of any year and you will likely have a very reliable vehicle.

It could be something simple but odds are the transmission is done. The 5R55 transmission is not Ford's best design effort and is known to fail at any time after 100k miles. Especially if fluid and filter changes have not been done regularly. If the transmission in your car is original then it has lasted far longer than expected. At 200k miles this could even be its second transmission failure. You probably need to replace it. Don't wast money rebuilding it just buy a remanufactered replacement with a 3-5 year warranty. Keep in mind that the V6 in your car is also not that reliable as the miles run up. At 200k miles, and if it is the original, untouched engine, then it will likely need the timing chains and guides replaced sooner rather than later. Most times people will just install a remanufactured engine for little additional cost since the engine has to be removed to replace the chains and guides. The cost of these two repairs will be worth more than the car. You might want to consider buying a low miles used transmission from a salvage yard since you have the V6 and it being a huge potential problem going forward. You can have $5k-$6k into transmission and engine repairs in a short period of time. Is the car worth spending this kind of money to keep it on the road?

I would recommend taking the $3k for the transmission replacement and applying it to buying another vehicle. If you must buy a V6 Mustang then get a 2011-2014 model since the engines and transmissions in these are much, much more reliable. Or get a manual V8 of any year and you will likely have a very reliable vehicle.
Actually picking up a 2014 today with 77,000 miles!

Actually picking up a 2014 today with 77,000 miles!
You made a wise decision. The 3.7L V6 is an excellent engine and has the external water pump design like the F150 engines. The 3.7L engines in all other models have an internal water pump that can destroy the engine if it goes out. Plus, just replacing a water pump in these engines is a $2k repair at a shop. The automatic transmission in the 2011-2014 Mustangs is the 6R80 which is also from the F150 trucks. It is a very robust design and is quite durable if maintained properly. Do not follow Ford recommendations on fluid changes for this transmission, or any Ford transmission for that matter. Ford says the transmission fluid is good for a lifetime which is a flat out lie, IMO. I suggest you get the transmission pan dropped, drain the fluid, install a new filter and refill as soon as you can. DO NOT DO A TRANSMISSION FLUSH! Doing this every 40k miles will likely keep this transmission going strong for well over 200k miles. Then do engine oil changes every 5k miles using full synthetic oil. Your new Mustang will be very reliable and last you a very long time if properly maintained.

Enjoy your new Mustang! I think you will find it a massive improvement over your 2009.

If the 2009 body shell is straight and rust free, save it for a new project or sell it to someone who can use it for a project of his own. I'm thinking 7.3 Godzilla swap, TR6060/Magnum XL/TKO 600 tranny, 9" rear end, Ford Performance Control Pack, that sort of thing.