Drivetrain Transmission output shaft seal

New Guy, I have 1977 II 2.3 Liter w/C3 Tranny, My situation maybe one of a kind or not. I just replace a leaking trans output seal but it still leaks. I installed the OEM seal that is recommended but still the problem exists is there a seal that has the spring installed that can fix tight around the shaft, that will stop and seal as required?

Reactions: 1 user
  • Sponsors (?)

Welcome to Stangnet! :)

One like this?

On another note, have you checked the surface of the driveshaft yoke? I know that harmonic dampers can eventually have a groove worn into them from the front seal, I'm curious if there's something like that that may be going on too? There is a sleeve kit that is available for dampers, maybe there's something like that that's available for the driveshaft yoke as well?

And I know some others will ask so I'll get this out of the way - post up some pics of your car and/or anything that's related to this particular subject. Everyone loves to see what everyone else is working on.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Welcome!

LILCBRA is right, the yoke can wear, but also the bushing inside the transmission tail housing can wear. Than you also have play of the yoke side-to-side, when everything is installed. If there is some play, than you need to replace the bushing, the seal and perhaps the yoke too.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1750095624...d=link&campid=5335821607&toolid=20001&mkevt=1
There is a special tool, to remove the bushing when the transmission is installed. At least this the case for C4/T5 transmissions...

• Useful
Reactions: 2 users