Transmission Problem: Need HELP! Vid inside.

KStrike155

Founding Member
May 8, 2002
Danbury, Connecticut
OK I posted a couple weeks back about a problem with my transmission making a weird knocking sound. Here is the video of it (don't mind the camera flying).

You can CLEARLY hear the sound in the video. When I am driving, I can feel it under my feet.

It happens whenever I shift gears or whenever I give it gas. Take a look.

WMV Format, 2.25MB, 2:00

Freakin' Sound

Thanks for any help!

• Sponsors (?)

Sounds more like engine mount or something to do with tie rods/ends? Also could be rack and pinion or loose tranny mount. It seems to only happen when you accelerate which causes the engine to move and various parts in the vehicle to "flex".

How weird, I had the same kind of problem when I first got my stang. If I punched it from a stop you would here this knock from under the car, mine was on the passenger side though, but I could still sort of feel it as whatever it was banged around. After about a weeks worth of driving though it dissappeared.

Hey, i kinda have the same problem. Just mine isnt as loud and doesnt happen as frequently. When i get goin or go over some bumps or im on a bumpy road, it feels like someone is hitting the underside of my car. I can feel it in the pedal and floorboard. If its a tranny mount, will any shop be able to find the problem. I also broke loose the flange connecting the catback to my x-pipe, could this be it? Im so tired of the sound.

-SORRY for going OT, but seems like the same type of problem

How much would it cost to replace the tranny mounts? Could I do this in my driveway?

If not, how much would install be?

How the hell do the tranny mounts break... well.. actually my rear left shock was blown and I didn't know it... couldv'e been driving on it for thousands of miles. Maybe the rough ride did it? Along with my crappy ass roads here..

Might want to give your u-joints a shake too. I had a noise almost like that when accelerating and decelerating. Seems that my u-joint had come loose at the bolts and was winding and unwinding with the speed of the tranny.

Freaked me out pretty bad

JonJon said:
:OT:
I thought the video was hilarious :rlaugh:
Put the camera on the passenger seat :shrug:

:p

Well I had the bright idea of slamming on my brakes so you could hear the sound... forgot the camera wasn't attached to something! LOL...

In reference to the mounts, where can I buy some for cheap? It must be only one side that is broken so can you buy them one at a time or in pairs?