transmission question

Discussion in 'SN95 V6 Mustang Tech' started by corymustang04, Jan 7, 2013.

  1. Hey all I'm new hear, so forgive me if this is in the wrong place.

    I have a 2004 v6 mustang with the 4R70W tranny. I dropped the pan to replace the filter and do a fluid change. However, once I pulled out the catch pan I found a yellow plastic piece that I have no idea where it goes. It looks like a half a sphere with a rod comming up and the half spear part does have an o-ring. Overall its a little over an inch long and the half sphere is around 1/2 inch in diameter. I looked at may diagrams of exploded parts fgor this tranny but do not see it.

    ANY help would be appriciated.

  2. It is a shipping plug that is used to block off the filler dip stick tube during manufacture. When the transmission is installed and mated the plug is pushed into the pan when the dip stick is installed.

    When you find the plastic plug in the pan, it just means this is the first time the transmission has been serviced.

    Simply throw it away. It has no function/use once the car leaves the factory.
  3. Hey thanks for the info, I was worried for a while.