Transmission Questions/Advice Needed

Chris-90GT

Jun 24, 2008
I just bought a 90 GT knowing there were some transmission issues. I was told it was the synchros, but have not pulled the transmission yet to take a look.

After driving it, it grinds into 2nd gear and pretty much will not go into 2nd, reverse works but slips out of gear and there's a whining sound when accelerating in 3rd gear.

I know this isn't much to go by, but has anyone had T-5 problems where they may have some advice where I should start? Would a T-5 non-WC rebuild kit be the way to go? Should I rebuild it with a T-5 World Class rebuild kit while I've got it torn apart? Do you think my transmission is shot?

Any help is appreciated, thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

Your tranny is a Wolrd class. It just refers to the bearing style used and 3-peice synchros for 1st-4th gear.

Sounds like oyu have some hard part damage that a basic rebuild kit will not fit. You'll need to take it apart and inspect the dog teeth on the gears for damage. Popping out of gear indicates the teeth might be cheweed up and unable to lock and the gear and synchro slider may need to be replaced.

Basicallty inspect everything and replace worn or wearing gears