Transmission rebuild questions

I'm getting a T5 for free from a friend that is just going to buy a new one to go into his 94GT. It's "missing" 2nd gear, i assume cuz its broken. I see the rebuild kits from LRS for $250ish. This isn't all i need is it? meaning i need to replace the gears. Right? and if so how much should that run me?

• Sponsors (?)

Usually it's not the gear that's broken, it's some part that engages the gear. The rebuild kit may or may not include the broken part. You really won't know what's broken until you get it apart. TTC now owns all the rights to the T 5. The rebuild manual is available free on their website in pdf format. Ot includes a blow up diagram of the transmission with all the part numbers. I also reommend installing a steel bearing retainer while you have it apart. It is $32.

Kurt

Bad Shoe Productions How To Video Series - Ford Transmissions & Rears

I highly recommend you buy his T5 rebuild video if you plan on rebuilding it yourself. Well worth the $30. I have some pics from my rebuild in my back to stock thread, http://www.stangnet.com/mustang-forums/842480-back-stock-build-thread.html

The $250 rebuild kits only include bearings, syncro's, spacers, etc. If any of the gears or other hard parts are damaged you'll need to buy them separate. If it's just having problems going into 2nd, then it's probably either a syncro wore out or the gear is damaged. I have a pic of 1st gear, you can see the teeth pointing straight up on the inside of the gear. Those teeth mesh with the syncro and if they get rounded off on the end you'll have problems shifting.

1st gear, a synchronizer, and 5th is the small one on the right.
main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=5510&g2_serialNumber=2

Also, if you don't need to replace any bearings or other parts you can save a lot of money and buy parts separately. You could probably get just 2nd gear and syncro for cheaper than the $250 rebuild kit.