transmission starting to slip 2005 gt

confustang

Dec 31, 2019
the west
so i emptied some tranny fluid out of tranny prior and then realized the level may have been to low. After this tranny started to slip in every gear around acceleration and cruising rpms in every gear... added about half a quart to get the level back up to the fill line and it still feels slippy but havnt drove even 100mi yet.

• Sponsors (?)

so i emptied some tranny fluid out of tranny prior and then realized the level may have been to low. After this tranny started to slip in every gear around acceleration and cruising rpms in every gear... added about half a quart to get the level back up to the fill line and it still feels slippy but havnt drove even 100mi yet.
So is it a 5R55 transmission? You have to check THAT one's fluid level from underneath on a rack. It needs to be hoisted while running in Park after you've shifted it thru the gears and needs to be just hot enough trans temp to feel hot to the touch. 120 F or so. You remove the center plug on the drain plug and if no fluid gushes out, you have to pump or squeeze fluid up thru the check hole until it gushes out.

My Tacoma doesn't even have that. Its a sealed unit from the factory,
Bastards!
Incorrect.

Your Tacoma likely has a 24mm plug on the side for filling, a 14 drain plug for draining, and a 5mm allen check plug (assuming the 5 or 6 speed automatic).

It's actually easier than dealing with a dipstick for post-service checks, though it sucks in comparison for a routine check.

Send me a PM if you want the full info on checking it, it's actually pretty easy on the 'yoter transmissions.

• Informative
Reactions: 1 user