Transmission won't line up with crossmember using ES mounts

Labora

Founding Member
Jun 11, 2000
Dallas, Texas
I spent all day yesterday trying to get my motor/tranny in the car correctly.

Getting the motor mounts in the slots on the kmember wasn't issue but even with everything squared up correctly the transmission mount always sits about 1-1.5 inches to far forward to get the bolts through the slots on the cross member.

I can't for the life of me figure out why this would be unless the mounts I got are incorrect. I have to wait till Monday to call summit or ES to confirm what I have is correct, but everything I've read/seen pics of leads me to believe they are the right ones.

I tried two different crossmembers that I had, neither made a difference. (One from my 95, one from this 94.) The only other thing I can possibly imagine is the kmember is sitting too far forward but this seems pretty unlikely.... I bought this car as a roller so I've never had a motor in it myself the kmember looks perfectly stock.

These are the mounts I ordered.
Energy Suspension 4-1124G - Energy Suspension Motor Mounts/Motor Mount Inserts

If anyone has any ideas/advice I'd love to hear it.

• Sponsors (?)

I presume this is for your Project Phoenix, OEM 5.0 block and 94-95 T5. I seem to remember that the crossmember only fits one way, did you flip it around and see if it lined up? The Energy Suspension kit you linked to has the correct mounts - the tranny mount does not have a specific direction.

You are correct this is in the 94. Which is a stock Cobra drive train as far as fitment should be concerned.

I flipped both cross members I had (They look the same) both directions. Putting it what I assume is backwards actually makes it a tiny bit closer but not enough to make work.

Top R = Up Passenger

Hmmm. Did you ever remove the tranny mount from the tranny itself? Perhaps it's not aligned properly. I can take a photo of my T5 from my GT easily, the tranny is out right now.

How would you align it? It just bolts on and no matter which way you put tranny mount on does not effect where the bolt holes end up?

It would be helpful to see a SIDE shot of one if possible.

The mount they sent me the holes for the tranny line up with the holes that connect to the tranny itself. So the mount is strait up and down. Just like the picture on the summit site.

Also I've never had these mounts in a car before, my 95 had stock motor/tranny mounts. I tossed the tranny mount since after the wreck it was BROKE. So I don't even have it to compare it to this one that I have now.

Whole drivetrain is from my 95 Cobra. So it should be a sn95 bell.

I called ES today and they confirmed the transmission mount I got was the correct one.

I'm unsure about the motor mounts because I forgot to ask him. :nonono: Probably going to end up buying some stock mounts and seeing what happens.

Sorry, forgot to get pics for you. First is the top of the bracket; the left nut is for the tranny mount.

tranny_mount_top.jpg

Next is the bottom of the bracket, on the other side. Left bolt is the mount to the tranny itself.

tranny_mount_bottom.jpg

Hope it helps.

Reactions: 1 user
Man that helps a ton! Thanks!

It looks like I need that stupid metal plate to move the mount back a few inches. Right now I'm bolting the mount strait to the transmission. And if I'm looking at it correctly I should be bolting it to that plate which would move it back a few inches into the proper spot.

Hopefully I have that piece somewhere! (I hope I didn't toss it with the old mount that was broken in my wreck...)

Guess worse case I can fab something up. That is a big relief, because at least now I won't have to worry about removing the engine again.

Aha! Photos for teh win! :D You are 100% correct in your assessment. No bracket, no alignment with the crossmember.

Glad to be of help. I think everyone just presumed that you had the bracket. You can always try MPSauto, though their website is really useless now. Call 'em and see if they have one.

Reactions: 1 user