TREMEC 3650 HELP PLEASE

tater63

Feb 22, 2012
What's up guys? I have a 2003 gt with the tremec 3650 in it. when I bought the car it would grind going into 3rd gear but all the other gears worked just fine, I got a really good deal on it so I figured I'd fix it and if I decided not to keep the car I could make a few bucks selling it. After doing some research online I discovered that basically the 3650 trannys are junk, so, instead of just fixing the problem I decided to buy an entire rebuild- upgrade kit from D&D Performance that included a new 2nd gear, 3rd gear, new shift forks, new synchronizers etc. I paid a reputable tranny mechanic to install the kit and I installed a new clutch, I also just installed a new clutch quadrant, firewall adjuster and cable yesterday.... My car still grinds going into 3rd gear, you can't even put it into 3rd when your sitting at a stop sign unless you put it into any other gear first. It is doing the exact same thing that it was doing when I first bought the car. I'm running the correct amount of tranny fluid and I'm using mobile 1 fully synthetic. Sorry this post is so long but I wanted to try and give all the details.... Could it be the shifter?... That's the only thing that hasn't been changed. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated, thanks guys!...

• Sponsors (?)

How much freeplay is there in the clutch cable?

Having to put it into another gear before you can put it into 3rd suggests that the input shaft is still turning because the clutch may not be releasing fully.

BTW, it's not the shifter.

How much freeplay is there in the clutch cable?

Having to put it into another gear before you can put it into 3rd suggests that the input shaft is still turning because the clutch may not be releasing fully.

BTW, it's not the shifter.

Or synchronizes , check and make sure your clutch is completely dis engaging first . Sorry spelling sucks, but you know what I mean.