Tremec TKO or World Class ?

Ray@VSK

Aug 27, 2004
I am replacing tranny, nothing wrong with my T-5 but just want a better tranny & faster shifts so I figured Tremec would allow me to shift alot faster unlike the stock T-5 sometimes you have to wait for it to allow you to go in gear :mad:

I was either going to go with the TKO 500 or 600 (both about the same price) but then I got to looking @ the Tremec World Class & how much cheaper it was not only for the transmission it'sself but the fact that I can use my stock bellhousing thus saving me another few hundred $.

So I guess my question is, how does the World Class do compared to the 500 or 600 tko, does it shift as fast ? & is it strong enough for my 300-350 Hp 93 ? One more question, my Tri Ax shifter on my stock T-5 won't work on the Tremec World Class will it ?

Will save roughly $500.00

• Sponsors (?)

You are confusing a T5 with a tremec. Tremec bought out borg warner I think and now the 5spd's in the newer gt's are 3650's. Not anyway near a real tremec like a tko or a tko 500. You have a t5, not a t5z and not a tremec :)

I would say grab the TKO if you plan on modding your current stang any more.

The world class T5Z is rated at 330 ft lbs of TQ. I'm sure if will work behind your 350 HP stang though.

But Tremec is the way to go IMHO.

Ray@VSK said:
I thought the stock 93 gt tranny was just a Borg Warner T-5, I just crawled under mine & can find nowhere where it says Tremic & even the Steeda triax shifter I bought for it is made for a T-5 as the Tremic one is different http://www.steeda.com/store/-catalog/triaxshifter.htm vs http://www.steeda.com/store/-catalog/triaxtshifter.htm as you see the tremec & t-5 shifters are different, I don't get how I have a world class, are you sure about that ?

I do know what you're referring to though. My stock T-5 had the words "Borg Warner" all over it. My World Class T-5 says Tremec on the gear box. It's still a T-5. The only differences are the internals on the World Class. The gears are cut different, the sychros are Kevlar, the input shaft is steel (as opposed to aluminum) and there are a few other differences that help to beef up the transmission to handle a bit more power. As far as your shifter is concerned; the tri-ax that you have for your stock tranny will bolt right up to a World Class. Externally they are the same (except for the fore mentioned steel intput shaft). The world class will more than handle your 350 HP output. If you're able to shift any quicker, it will be the result of the upgraded sychros and possibly the way the gears are cut but don't expect a night and day difference. I actually remember my stock T-5 shifting a bit smoother than the world class before I twisted all the inards out of it.

Grn92LX said:
the 5spd's in the newer gt's are 3650's. Not anyway near a real tremec like a tko or a tko 500.

The 3650 is a real tremec. It's actually stronger than the non-tko 3550 by 10 ft-lbs.

ANyway, Tremec know owns borg warner, so all T-5's are now called Tremec T-5's. World Class refers to the synchro and bearing set-up. The world class T-5's have 3-peice 1-2 sycnrho rings and kevlar lined 3-4 synchros and a brass 5th. All non-WC t-5's have all brass synchros. The T-5 has been a World Class type in the V8 Mustang since 1985.

He is confusing Z-spec for world class. All 85+ V8 T-5's are world class, but not all are Z-spec.

Kinda surprized that nobody mentioned the G-Force T-5. I like the fact that it's just as strong and alot lighter than the Tremec. It uses the same parts as the T-5 but I believe it's pricey as well. You also need to consider that if you go TKO route then you need clutch, bellhousing, crossmember or mod the old one, driveshaft spline into tranny, shifter (from what I have been told the stock Tremec ones suck).

89sleeper said:
I would go with the Z. It will work just fine for your combo and will save you money. The 3550's are not as smooth and weigh about 30 lbs. more.

The Z is the world class right https://www.brothersperformance.com/shop/mustang/fmm7003z.html ?

The transmission I have right now is fine, sure would hate to buy the exact same thing I have right now & What clutch kit, King Cobra ?

So let me get this straight, my stock tranny in my 93 gt is a T-5 the World Class is a T-5 aswell just a beefier one, should I even upgrade or would I be buying the exact same thing I have right nor or waisting my time & should either keep what I got or buy a TKO, I just want a faster shifting tranny, I'm so tired of the stock wait till you let me :bs:

Good god thats a lot for a T5 not much better than a normal T5. I paid $1100 shipped for a near new tremec TKO with a pro 50. Theres deals all over if you take the time to look. Its a little notchier than a T5, but you'll be used to it in a day.

I'd look for a used tremec 3550 or TKO. TKO you'll need a new clutch disk and a new 31 spline yoke. Do a search on my name and I had a thread about ALL the info you'd need when I was buying parts to swap in a TKO. It was last month

Ray@VSK said:
The Z is the world class right https://www.brothersperformance.com/shop/mustang/fmm7003z.html ?

The transmission I have right now is fine, sure would hate to buy the exact same thing I have right now & What clutch kit, King Cobra ?
The "Name" World Class has been used for years now. Your tranny is not the same specs as the "New" World Class or other name "Z" spec tranny. They have been improved upon tremendously since 1993. It is a lot better tranny than the one you have now. But if all you are wanting is a faster shifting tranny then go with an aftermarket shifter as was noted earliersearch . Buying a new tranny will not make your tranny shift any faster.
I like the King Cobra clutch because it offers more grip than the stock one but still retains a stock feel.
If you do a search on clutches you will find out a lot of usefull information.

rgrt, I got a Tri-Ax shifter on it right now, is that a good shifter ? I did notice my pressure plate was bent to hell today, maybe that's what's been making the slow shifting, I'm gonna swipe me up a King Cobra kit & drop in this new motor, tune, then tune & tune some more, thanks again guys your always very helpfull :nice: