Tremec TKO users chime in please

mpe331lx

Jul 3, 2005
FL
I am about to order a transmission for my coupe. I have been leaning towards the G-force T5 Compared to the Tremec TKO600. One of my major concerns is bieng able to quickly shift at the track and on the street. I have heard that the tremecs have a reputation fo not going into gear very well at high rpm. As my combo sits, I probably wont see to much over 6000. But, there is always a chance that I will not be happy with my times and decide to change to a custom FTI cam and valvetrain kit with Ti retainers and the new Trick Flow short runner intake for some serious rpm. Will I be able to shift @ 7000 rpm with a TKO 600?

• Sponsors (?)

My TKO500 shifts like butter in the upper rpms. I was in the same debate as you and ended up going with the TKO. I'm glad I did... You can't beat it for the price. I run it with a spec stg 3 clutch and aluminum flywheel and I'm very happy. One word... Awesome. I would go with the TKO... Cheaper and PROVEN.

1990LXDropTop said:
My TKO500 shifts like butter in the upper rpms. I was in the same debate as you and ended up going with the TKO. I'm glad I did... You can't beat it for the price. I run it with a spec stg 3 clutch and aluminum flywheel and I'm very happy. One word... Awesome. I would go with the TKO... Cheaper and PROVEN.

Can you do me a favour? I am interested in doing the same swap. What will I have to change in my stock setup? Are the input shafts interchangeable? 26 spline output shaft? (that is stock isn't it?) What brand clutch/flywheel package did you go with? and finally, where did ya get it and who installed?

Thanks for your help....the stock T5's are week and noisy.

The TKO 500/600 are nice transmissions. It is a more modern transmission. I think you have it backwards, the TKO shifts nice at higher rpm's. I don't know about the G-Force, if you get the full upgrade, the only thing the G-force T-5 has that's stock is the case, and of course an old design. I'm not going to talk about what I don't know about. However, T-5 compared to a TKO, the TKO is so much better.

I just remember seeing people post that they bought their G force, it broke right away, and the company said oh well. It's been a while so maybe they have changed, but I wouldn't buy from them. You could go with a pro shifted TKO. Although I don't think they down shift very well for street use?

my tko 600 shifts up/down just fine for daily driving... real high rpms, havent really tested that yet.

but, make sure you buy the pro 5.0 shifter for it, to correct the shift handle. otherwise it will tilt to the right slightly and be a little awkward to get use to.

and yes, you need a different spline clutch, and a different yoke for your driveshaft. modify your crossmember slightly, and buy a new bellhousing. thats it

I have the old TKO, and I don't have any idea where this is coming from. Unless somethings changed from my design to the TKO500/600, the TKO powershifts so much more nicely than the T5 did. It's not even a comparison. The shifts seem closer together and easier to make. The Pro50 shifter is awesome! I don't miss shifts with the TKO pro50 combo ever. I used to miss shifts occasionally with the T5/pro50 combo, though.

Chris