Tremec TKO ?

toolsmith

May 18, 2009
I'm currently creating a resto-mod mustang from my 1970 fastback. My plans include a BB Ford and I want to run either a 5 or 6 speed transmission. Has anyone used a Tremec TKO tranny? I'm wondering if I'll need to modify the tunnel or not. Before my resto-mod I ran a 460 with a C6 without having to modify the tunnel.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
-Paul

• Sponsors (?)

I replaced my C4 with a TKO 600 in my 69. I bought the kit from Modern Driveline. With their crossmember there is about a half inch of clearance between it and the tunel in my car. The angle at the front yoke is not great but its not bad either. I do not have any vibrations at all so Im not worried about the angles.

Their crossmember does drop the back end down a little bit though which in turn made my distributor rub on the monte carlo bar. I put a set of Ron Morris Lowered motor mounts and the engine is back to normal and it also helped out on the angle at the front yoke as well. The forward and aft adjustment will help out alot with getting the trans lined up on its cross member also.

If you are really concerned with the angles, you will have to modify the tunnel to get everything perfect.

If you are putting the Tremec 6 speed in you will have to modify the tunnel for sure.

I highly recommend Modern Driveline. The complete kit from them was a no BS, Completely bolt on kit. The only modifications I had to do was to drill a hole for their cable clutch setup.

They also know their products very well and were able to answer all of my questions right over the phone.

I installed a TKO 600 in my project without cutting the tunnel but the car is not on the road as of yet so the verdict is still out.

Hey j69302, which headers are you using with that cable setup? I take it you are running a 302?

It is a 302 and I am using Ford Powertrain ceramic coated headers.. Expensive, but well worth the money. Thick flanges, you can get a socket and wratchet on about all but maybe 2 bolts. Ball sockets instead of collector gaskets so no more leaks :).

There is plenty of room for the cable to go through. Mine comes out of the firewall, just passes the oil filter where it does a 180 and loops down and goes under the motor mount and straight into the bell housing. I think the closest that it gets to a header is about 1 inch.

The kit comes with aluminized sleeve but its only about 8 inches or so.. I had some extra laying around and I put it around the cable all the way up to the oil filter. There is no noticeable difference between clutch feel when its warm or cold..all feel