Tremec TKX 5-spd

• Sponsors (?)

I have a TKO, but its the older version before there was a 500/600. It was either 3550 or TKO...what is the difference
between the older TKO and the newer 500/600 ones? I bought mine back around 03 and cant remember spit about it. lol
There is more to it but the short and sweet is :

3550: 350 ft/lbs torque rating, 10 spline input shaft, 28 spline output shaft.
TKO: 375 ft/lbs torque rating, 26 spline input shaft, 31 spline output shaft.
TKO-500 500 ft/lbs torque rating,
TKO-600 500-600 ft/lbs torque and has a different gear ratio than the 500

Reactions: 1 user
Has anyone received one yet? I’m eager for feedback
from what i understand, not shipping from tremec (mexico) until around november 30.
I have a TKO, but its the older version before there was a 500/600. It was either 3550 or TKO...what is the difference
between the older TKO and the newer 500/600 ones? I bought mine back around 03 and cant remember spit about it. lol
other than the splines/ratios, the 500/600 added provisions for multiple shifter locations. thats really about it other than maybe some production-line upgrades/tweaks/cost cutting.

So just called apt to get an update, apparently tremec hasnt shipped a tkx yet. not sure if because of covid or other production problems. was also told tko production is done so whatever is in stock at the dealers/wholesalers is it. were originally supposed to start shipping out last week or two of november. t56's seem to be unaffected though (dont know if they come out of the same plant).

• Surprised
Reactions: 2 users
Just got my tracking number, looks like itll be here wednesday, which hopefully means i can get this pig running by sunday.
I was looking for something unrelated on Summit.com and saw the TKX on their homepage banner ad. Clicked on it and said if I bought it then, it would ship March 10, IIRC.

I am really excited to see how this transmission is received by the community. For years I thought a T-56 was going to be the only option that could provide what I’m looking for, strength and reliability. I have really high hopes for the TKX.

I was looking for something unrelated on Summit.com and saw the TKX on their homepage banner ad. Clicked on it and said if I bought it then, it would ship March 10, IIRC.

I am really excited to see how this transmission is received by the community. For years I thought a T-56 was going to be the only option that could provide what I’m looking for, strength and reliability. I have really high hopes for the TKX.
I really hope so too . Need a small unit that can take what a 56 can

I really do hope it works well, a t56 swap is super expensive. Not only is the trans itself significantly more, but then you get into needing a new driveshaft and a special crossmember. With the 5 speeds everything but the yoke and bell (which if you don't need sfi isn't super expensive) are interchangeable. And if you need sfi, the qt bell is multi pattern for both t5 and tk_ so if you blow one up and have a spare of the other at least you can get it running again pretty quick.

I guess though we'll find out fhis weekend for sure as long as I don't find out i forgot to order a part.

I really do hope it works well, a t56 swap is super expensive. Not only is the trans itself significantly more, but then you get into needing a new driveshaft and a special crossmember. With the 5 speeds everything but the yoke and bell (which if you don't need sfi isn't super expensive) are interchangeable.

Only good thing about my SROD 4 speed is the TKX bolts up to the old bellhousing.

Chevy TKX's have shipped.. On NastyZ28 website, there have been at least one installed in a 2nd Gen Camaro, but was waiting for the new driveline.. TKX's are a few inches longer than Muncies..... . The Ford TKX's for some reason have been the model delayed.....
I plan on getting one so I have been reading about them... The internals are alot more like the T56 six speeds which are much smoother shifting( so I have read anyway) than the TKO, which has a reputation of being notchy shifting.... As said above the TKO is gone after all stock has been sold, so tremec has high hopes for the TKX..

Last edited:
My tko600 shifts really smooth. Was upgraded by Hanlon Motorsports. Can't wait to see someone install and drive this tkx in a fox.

0310211720.jpg

So for the guys who have bought a trans with shifter new, do they just not come with a handle or am I missing something? Seems to bet the only part I dont have so hopefully summit has something....

• Love
Reactions: 6 users
0310211720.jpg

So for the guys who have bought a trans with shifter new, do they just not come with a handle or am I missing something? Seems to bet the only part I dont have so hopefully summit has something....

Pretty sure that's standard practice. I've seen a new T5 in box and a new T56 and neither came with a handle. That's a nice looking trans

0310211720.jpg

Looks awesome ! No handle just a base . That’s how my 600 came

Yup, no handle here for my 600.

The top of that trans looks super low. I don't expect you to have any issues with trans tunnel fitment. You're the first one here with one. Can't wait to see a documented install.

If you get someone to video it you might make money on YT. People are going to be searching like crazy for install and driving vids. They'll be hitting the forum, too.

Congratulations on being the first here, man !!!

Reactions: 1 users