Fox Trick Flow 170’s on a 331 Stroker

I'll have to check that out. Get my borescope out and look up there in the Cobra. Unfortunately, the block I used for my first 347 in my 95' came out of my 93' GT. The second block was a Motorcraft piece. Good things to know. I am definitely not the most knowledgeable person on how to match numbers on a car. Even though we did use the original block in the Cobra, I don't think it will matter much. There are still too many aftermarket parts in it. That is to assume that a numbers matching 94' Cobra will ever mean anything. We always assume that having an original car will have a good investment on return. There are so many cars that I thought would hold value. I told one of my friends never to change anything on his 03' Z06. That thing is a pumpkin now; just about couldn't give one away. I thought my Focus would hold value, and it's not doing well. I thought my MR2 would hold value, and lost it at the bottom of the market. You could wait 10 years to score a solid OEM MR2 now, and not find one, and if you did, you'd pay through the nose. Bottom line is that there is never a secured investment in a car. We simply aren't doing this for the money, and that's a good thing.

Kurt
Oh, I've been through a couple of cars that started out as "I'm not gonna do much to the car cause I don't wanna dump a bunch of money in it" Ha! That didn't last long!

• Sponsors (?)

Oh, I've been through a couple of cars that started out as "I'm not gonna do much to the car cause I don't wanna dump a bunch of money in it" Ha! That didn't last long!

My current fox.

0911FDB8-FFD8-4FDC-A2C4-9FB7D7C7FAD3.jpeg

This was my 307 inch 5.0 block 2 eye brow Mahle forged flat tops , scat rods , stock 10/10 crank. Pro Maxx 210 CNC ported heads . 600 lift solid roller ,Parker style ported intake. Scorpian 1.6 rockers. AED 820 carb.
Ran 7.00 on the 3rd pass before it broke the rear main cap after the input shaft on my top loader twisted and put the crank in a bind.
I am currently building a 333 from a 65 289 block with 12.5 to 1 ICON dome pistons Scat crank and rods. Same
20180406_160230 (1).jpg
heads and intake with a .683-.672 Howards cam.

I'll have to check that out. Get my borescope out and look up there in the Cobra. Unfortunately, the block I used for my first 347 in my 95' came out of my 93' GT. The second block was a Motorcraft piece. Good things to know. I am definitely not the most knowledgeable person on how to match numbers on a car. Even though we did use the original block in the Cobra, I don't think it will matter much. There are still too many aftermarket parts in it. That is to assume that a numbers matching 94' Cobra will ever mean anything. We always assume that having an original car will have a good investment on return. There are so many cars that I thought would hold value. I told one of my friends never to change anything on his 03' Z06. That thing is a pumpkin now; just about couldn't give one away. I thought my Focus would hold value, and it's not doing well. I thought my MR2 would hold value, and lost it at the bottom of the market. You could wait 10 years to score a solid OEM MR2 now, and not find one, and if you did, you'd pay through the nose. Bottom line is that there is never a secured investment in a car. We simply aren't doing this for the money, and that's a good thing.

Kurt
Yes that was my thinking as well I mean it's one thing if I pull the motor and can't sell it we'll just decide to hold on to it in case I sell the car later on and someone wants the original motor that came out of a 94 cobra. But to say that they would inspect to see if that's the exact block from a car then I'm sure they would take my word for it if it was that important anyway. But I wouldn't think it would bring more value by just having the original block.

the block has the the last numbers matching the vin on the car, a numbers matching car is worth more. They are stamped on a machined flat spot next to the gasket rail by the back of the manifold on the right side.
yeah I don't think anyone is. I think it's going to be that critical if I sell the car later on down the road as to them identifying the numbers LOL. But if someone wants to buy it later on down the road I may sell it or if not I may just hold on to it if I have the room in my garage which I should

It almost sounded there for a minute that someone suggested that the same induction system on a larger engine would make the same power just at a lower rpm. A larger displacement allows an engine to take in more air & fuel. So, one of those statements is true... the other would kinda sorta defy physics.

The main reason more displacement would not make more power using the same induction setup is if it was already maxed out. Obviously if it had more to give in flow then more power will be made. There would certainly be increases in the lower and probably mid range (where you would notice it most on the street) and the top end may fall flat if it was maxed out on the previously lower displacement. It really depends, you cannot give one blank statement as to what would happen.

Reactions: 1 user
Again, physics. And in this case it's not maxed out. 250 cfm intake flow is good for upwards of 500hp. With the given parts, are either the 302 or the 331-347 getting there?

Again, physics. And in this case it's not maxed out. 250 cfm intake flow is good for upwards of 500hp. With the given parts, are either the 302 or the 331-347 anywhere close? The larger engine will make more power.

is that block different than the GT's? I actually thought about selling the entire engine. Has 270 k. One older guy wants to go efi 302 in his 60' something car that has a v6. I thought about selling everything out of it to him. But also thought about keeping it in case i get rid of the car and someone wants the stock setup with the car.

No, but the blocks are vin stamped.

The transmission cases are also vin stamped.

So if originality is really critical to someone those are the things to check.

Example of partial vin on block
C1167900-2937-4444-B1A4-363419DC75E5.jpeg

And location on t5
30D586A9-B196-4D49-9EF6-679A275456CE.jpeg

Last edited:
  • Useful
Reactions: 1 users
The main reason more displacement would not make more power using the same induction setup is if it was already maxed out. Obviously if it had more to give in flow then more power will be made. There would certainly be increases in the lower and probably mid range (where you would notice it most on the street) and the top end may fall flat if it was maxed out on the previously lower displacement. It really depends, you cannot give one blank statement as to what would happen.
Lower to mid where I've learned for guys like me who are non track and not dailys, that'll be golden!!

Here is my take on this subject of originality and numbers matching stuff.
i have seen too many times where someone swaps out an engine from a low production car like a cobra. Of course you are not going to swap a low mile well kept example but just because it has a lot of miles you still kill the value. An example:
His attitude was it already had well over 100k so it was ok. And it is a really cool build but being a 93 cobra he used the wrong car. I feel that car was in too nice a condition to modify like that. He could have used a gt. Just because you can does not mean you should.
Keep the engine and if you have it the trans too. Stick another engine in it if it suits you, it's your car. I think in terms of value in specialty cars because I've seen too many cars that would have been worth more money with the original drive train even if it was clapped out junk. JMO.

Here is my take on this subject of originality and numbers matching stuff.
i have seen too many times where someone swaps out an engine from a low production car like a cobra. Of course you are not going to swap a low mile well kept example but just because it has a lot of miles you still kill the value. An example:
His attitude was it already had well over 100k so it was ok. And it is a really cool build but being a 93 cobra he used the wrong car. I feel that car was in too nice a condition to modify like that. He could have used a gt. Just because you can does not mean you should.
Keep the engine and if you have it the trans too. Stick another engine in it if it suits you, it's your car. I think in terms of value in specialty cars because I've seen too many cars that would have been worth more money with the original drive train even if it was clapped out junk. JMO.
Not sure if this was for me but i know i did mention my dilema with the 94 i bought a few years ago. Bout with 268 k with pretty much everything still working. I intended to right away do a 331 stroker but have since decided to just use the motor out of the 95 gt that's tuned with HCI and some other goodies. It has 190 k on it. Are you saying that right now if I sold the car with either setup, it would bring more money or potentially bring more with the 270 k miles 240 bhp over the 190 k miles 300 rwhp?

FYI I am going to do a whole lot more to the car though. It'll get new 18 inch wheels staggered, painted, and new leather tan seats as well as suspension work and lowered.

Not sure if this was for me but i know i did mention my dilema with the 94 i bought a few years ago. Bout with 268 k with pretty much everything still working. I intended to right away do a 331 stroker but have since decided to just use the motor out of the 95 gt that's tuned with HCI and some other goodies. It has 190 k on it. Are you saying that right now if I sold the car with either setup, it would bring more money or potentially bring more with the 270 k miles 240 bhp over the 190 k miles 300 rwhp?

FYI I am going to do a whole lot more to the car though. It'll get new 18 inch wheels staggered, painted, and new leather tan seats as well as suspension work and lowered.
With a car that has 200k+ miles on it, keeping it original to try and increase value is pointless. At that point you’re better off doing whatever what you want.

As far as the cobra with the coyote swap, I’d say it’s alright. We’re at the point now where restomod muscle cars bring top dollar. I don’t imagine fox bodies will be an exception to this.

A cars value is always relevant to the condition and the area where it is, a car with the original engine, trans and all the parts/pieces is more desirable than say a 4cyl to V8 swap. There are always exceptions.
I should say that using a car as an investment is a bad idea.
what I am saying, and this is way off the original subject and the original member has not posted since, is a cobra with the original engine/trans is more desirable, from a car guys standpoint.

I'd like to add that a 4 cylinder to v8 swap done right...is worth more than a stock 4 cylinder car. Nowhere near as much as a stock v8 in the same condition though

Again, physics. And in this case it's not maxed out. 250 cfm intake flow is good for upwards of 500hp. With the given parts, are either the 302 or the 331-347 anywhere close? The larger engine will make more power.

Absolutely, with 14:1 compression running on alcohol, 250cfm is definitely going to get you 500hp. 93' Octane, and 10:1 compression, the Cobra put 302hp to the tire.

Kurt

I'd like to add that a 4 cylinder to v8 swap done right...is worth more than a stock 4 cylinder car. Nowhere near as much as a stock v8 in the same condition though

Honestly, if I am looking to buy a Mustang, or help someone buy a Mustang, the price is going to be based on the condition of the car, not whether the VIN number says it has the engine that came in the car. I would pay more for a V8 swap done right than an original V8 car that has serious shortcomings, i.e. bottoms of the doors rusting out, panels that have not been changed correctly and do not align, wiring that has a bunch of butt connectors in it, interior that has been chewed on by a dog, etc.

Kurt

Honestly, if I am looking to buy a Mustang, or help someone buy a Mustang, the price is going to be based on the condition of the car, not whether the VIN number says it has the engine that came in the car. I would pay more for a V8 swap done right than an original V8 car that has serious shortcomings, i.e. bottoms of the doors rusting out, panels that have not been changed correctly and do not align, wiring that has a bunch of butt connectors in it, interior that has been chewed on by a dog, etc.

Kurt
My swap was legit. That thing would've sold in a NY minute. Hence my screen name :)

I am not debating the value of a 4 cyl to V8 swap.
I am not debating the value of a lx or gt car in any condition.
What I am saying, if someone is looking for a cobra mustang the value of that car will be more if the numbers matching engine is available. More so for a first year car like a 93 cobra or even a 94-5 cobra, maybe not today but I'm willing to bet in the future.
You may not see the value or even really care now, I have seen (in the past of course) where a limited build car sells for far less because it did not have the original engine.
It is, after all, your car, do what you want, it just makes my cobra worth more in the end :jester: