Trick Flow Top End Kit Suggestions..?

gwiedner

Nov 8, 2008
San Diego, CA
I am considering buying the trick flow street burner top end kit but wanted to know if anyone has any experiences good or bad with it. Its going on my daily driver, about 10 miles a day. The motor was rebuilt about 5k ago with hyper. pistons instead or forged I don't know if that makes a difference or not. Im looking to build car that can go low to mid 12s with drag radials and still be very streetable. I considered forced induction but with the hyper. pistons I don't know how reliability would be affected by doing a supercharger or turbo. What other costs should I plan for when installing the kit, fuel pump upgrade, tuning etc.. Or am I better off doing forced induction of some sort even with the hyper. pistons, does anyone have experience with this?

As the car sits right now it is a stock except it has a trick flow street burner upper and lower, BBK 75 mm throttle body, 19 lbs injectors, cold air kit, bbk shorties, off road x pipe with flows, MSD coil and 6AL box.

• Sponsors (?)

dont be afraid to boost the hypereutectic pistons, there are plenty of cars with boost on them and they are fine. a good safe tune goes a long way.

True...

I have the Trick Flow top end Kit with the street intake....Very good kit...It comes complete. The only thing you will need is the time it takes to put it in...Are you still running the stock fuel pump? You may want to upgrade. I also went with 24lbs injectors,it will probably run with the 19s,but would be borderline...

Kelly

What kind of times/ hp numbers did you get from the trick flow kit?

Also boosting hyper. pistons? can I buy an off the shelf turbo kit and be safe with a good tune? If so anyone know a good tuner in so. cal, san diego area because I think that is definatly the most bang for the buck.

What kind of times/ hp numbers did you get from the trick flow kit?

Also boosting hyper. pistons? can I buy an off the shelf turbo kit and be safe with a good tune? If so anyone know a good tuner in so. cal, san diego area because I think that is definatly the most bang for the buck.

I havent had it to the track...Yet.. I just finished rebuilding the motor. Ive had the TF top end kit on another motor,in the same car. I didnt get it to the track. Put around 10k on the old motor and it performed flawlessly...I just transfered all the TF parts over to the new motor and couldnt be happier. Ive been nursing it for the first 500 miles and tomorrow Im changing the oil and gonna let her rip! The track is soon to follow,weather permitting..

Kelly

i also have the trick flow top end kit. My best time is 13.34 @ 104.8. Thats with street tires and a 2.01 60 ft. My cars an auto with 410's ,19lb injectors and no tuning. I'm sure a 5 speed would be faster.

i also have the trick flow top end kit. My best time is 13.34 @ 104.8. Thats with street tires and a 2.01 60 ft. My cars an auto with 410's ,19lb injectors and no tuning. I'm sure a 5 speed would be faster.

Interesting, I had on my 89gt the TW heads with (cheapo) typhoon intake, 70mm tb 76mm pro m mass air meter and 24# inj. with auto like you and street tires with 3.73`s and went 13.25 and best mph was 104 best 60' 1.94
I remember racing against a guy that had the TF topend kit and he ran 13.5:shrug:something

I have the trickflow top end kit on my stang too and it really feels stock till about 3k rpm's but after that and it's an animal. I think you should go with some rear gears. GTR High Performance in Rancho Cucamonga, CA 91730 is a good place for everything mustang.

Oh and with a turbo you can never get your car smogged legally, something to think about!

For all of you that have installed the top end kit did you have any tuning done after adding a bigger MAF and injectors? Will I need to and if so is it worth it HP and driveability wise to have it tuned because I know it is pretty expensive?

They don't make a smog legal turbo kit for the 5.0?

For all of you that have installed the top end kit did you have any tuning done after adding a bigger MAF and injectors? Will I need to and if so is it worth it HP and driveability wise to have it tuned because I know it is pretty expensive?

They don't make a smog legal turbo kit for the 5.0?

No you wont need a tune as long as the maf is calibrated to whatever injectors you have. I got a tune like a year after and didnt benefit from it at all. A/f was good and he was only able to squeeze 6 more hp out of the tune. 400 bucks wasted! If you have dle problems or some other crap a tune would be worth it. I didnt have any of those problems. Those kits are pretty much install and your good to go