trickflow heads,1087 cam,and the stock ol'302

onefast945.0

Jun 26, 2003
houston tx
I have a question or a little problem, my brother's planning on installing some trickflow track heat heads(off the shelf,no port work at all,just a clean up),tfs hardned pushrods and lifters,a 1087"wolverine" cam,and a holley systemax 2 intake on his basically full exhausted stock 93 5.0.The block is stock with 100,ooo miles.Will he need to "notch" the piston, if he is going with the trickflow heads,1.7 stud rockers,and the 1087 cam? I did here this once from a good friend,that the "wolverine will be too much of a lift when utilizing the 1.7 rockers and a untouch stock 302? If thats a real issue with piston to valve clearance, will he need to downsize to 1.6 rockers,o-ring the heads,or basically run a different cam?

• Sponsors (?)

you will probably need to fly cut the pistons, remember the valves in a trick flow head are also "twisted, rotated some" compared to other aftermarket style heads. duration is the big key, the clay test is a no-brainer that will tell you exactly how much piston- valve clearance you have i would say an 1/8 inch would be fine, remember to use a solid lifter to clay check, take an old roller lifter, pull the retaining clip out and its guts and fill it wil some steel flat washer until its full to where you can put the top of the lifter and clip back in, this has been a real reliable mock solid roller lifter and should give you an accurate reading. its worked really well for me in the past. 1.7 rockers compared to 1.6 rockers will give you about .030 more lift. o-ring will probably not be necessary.