Trickflow Heads On 331 Stroker

Clint426

May 13, 2012
Lincoln, Nebraska
Has anyone run TFS 170 TW heads on a 331? Thinking about stroking the 5.0l in my 94 cobra. currently I am using the 170 TW heads on the engine, but not sure they will flow enough to make 400-450 hp at the crank if I punch it out to 331. Also, will the cobra intake be able to feed enough air for the 331 to make that kind of power? Car is to be primarily driven on the street. Thinking about n-71 cam from anderson ford motorsports or possibly a comp or TFS cam. Just trying to keep the cost down. any info or opinions will be helpful.

• Sponsors (?)

450hp will be very ambitous with that combo depending on compression and rpm. Most Ive been able to get out out a 10.7:1 331 with a untouched Cobra intake and a AFR185 was 383RWHP @ 5800 (about 450FWHP) 89stang1

Those heads sell very well so Id entertain that idea or Id port the heads go larger on the intake or have that intake extrude honed if you want to keep it for the looks and a custom cam...you can meet your goal. The TQ curve was great with the small Cobra intake however

If I can help let me know,

Rick

That's what I figured. I do have an Edelbrock performer 5.0 intake sitting around. It may be a better choice over the stock cobra. Keeping the looks of the cobra engine was an idea, but not a must. I was looking at 351w as a possibility as well, but I have three 302 engines laying around. Just as well use one. As far as compression ratio, I want to run pump gas in it so keeping it below 11.5:1 is a must.

That's what I figured. I do have an Edelbrock performer 5.0 intake sitting around. It may be a better choice over the stock cobra. Keeping the looks of the cobra engine was an idea, but not a must. I was looking at 351w as a possibility as well, but I have three 302 engines laying around. Just as well use one. As far as compression ratio, I want to run pump gas in it so keeping it below 11.5:1 is a must.

You are going to have a rough time making that kind of power unless you throw some compression to it and some camshaft. You could get close with the 170cc head using the stage III cam and about 11.0:1.

yes, the 331 stroke kit I'm looking at is from probe industries with dome pistons with valve reliefs for TW head. claim 11.3:1 compression with 64cc combustion chamber. I know the 170cc heads I have are 61cc so might be a bit too much pump gas. Contacted TEA and is little over $1k to have ported to 185 or 205cc. That would rock. Their flow charts show the 185cc getting over 300cfm at .600 of lift. Exhaust is increase a bunch too. best flowing 185cc heads I've seen so far... bit expensive though, but beats out buying new heads all together. so many choices... my cobra has the cobra r hood on it, so 351w may be a little easier to achieve the goals I have set, plus might give me a little more low end torque which is a plus for the street. Anyone have combo ideas for both the 3o2 and 351 blocks to get between 400 and 500 hp at the crank?

I had a 92 coupe w a 331... It was a wicked ride...Short block built by Keith Craft. TFTW heads, TF Stage 2 cam, TF Street heat intake, standard roller rockers, 70mm TB, 30lb injectors, upgraded fuel rails and pressure regulator, cold air intake, shorty headers w/ head wrapped tubes, under driven pullies w/ a/c delete PS delete shortbelt for race day..(this was sweet free horsepower just w a short belt easily changed at the track)... My dyno sheet was 386 hp w 376 ft lbs @ rear tires...

I had a 92 coupe w a 331... It was a wicked ride...Short block built by Keith Craft. TFTW heads, TF Stage 2 cam, TF Street heat intake, standard roller rockers, 70mm TB, 30lb injectors, upgraded fuel rails and pressure regulator, cold air intake, shorty headers w/ head wrapped tubes, under driven pullies w/ a/c delete PS delete shortbelt for race day..(this was sweet free horsepower just w a short belt easily changed at the track)... My dyno sheet was 386 hp w 376 ft lbs @ rear tires...
Hey how's it going. I'd like you to check out this combo I plan on doing and let me know if you think it will be at the least around 350 rwhp or somewhere around 300 rwhp as one guy tried to tell me on another forum. Now, I really think he wasn't following what I was saying closely but anyway I'd like your opinion since your combo appears to be very similiar. BTW my 302 with custom cam, rpm 2 intake, TFTW 170 heads, 75 maf, 70 tb, 24 lb injects, 255 fp, shorty headers, X pipe, and a tune made 291 with 313 ft lbs of torque.

331 stroker via Scat 3.250 crank with a 5.4 rod length
more than likely scat I beam rods
unsure exactly which pistons yet
custom cam ( unsure exactly which yet as the builder doesn't sell these cams he grinds himself and will shoot me the specs before he grinds, I'm guessing he grind for customers but specifics)
ARP main studs
Edelbrock performer rpm 2 intake
TFTW 170 cc heads 61 cc but was milled down to avoid needing an O-ring head gasket so not 61 anymore
30 lb EV6 4 hole injectors
75 mm maf
70 tb
Mac shorties
Basani X pipe with 2 chamber flows
255 lb hr fuel pump

custom tune

Car will be just a weekend driving streetcar, No track. I have a 302 now with some of the things listed already and want to reuse most of them.

450hp will be very ambitous with that combo depending on compression and rpm. Most Ive been able to get out out a 10.7:1 331 with a untouched Cobra intake and a AFR185 was 383RWHP @ 5800 (about 450FWHP) 89stang1

Those heads sell very well so Id entertain that idea or Id port the heads go larger on the intake or have that intake extrude honed if you want to keep it for the looks and a custom cam...you can meet your goal. The TQ curve was great with the small Cobra intake however

If I can help let me know,

Rick
Hey Rick tried to tag you in a conversation on another thread as well but couldnt figure it out. I see Dynotech hasn't been on in 3 yrs

Hey from6to8, I haven't been on here since 2012... your combo ideas look pretty good to me. I ended up getting rid of the 5.0 and stroking a 351w to 408w. Used AFR 220 heads with much larger than needed cam, with super vic efi intake. I think an AFR 185 will make a 331 run well with a custom cam and trickflow intake. Of course everything depends on the budget. With what you listed, it should run well.

Hey from6to8, I haven't been on here since 2012... your combo ideas look pretty good to me. I ended up getting rid of the 5.0 and stroking a 351w to 408w. Used AFR 220 heads with much larger than needed cam, with super vic efi intake. I think an AFR 185 will make a 331 run well with a custom cam and trickflow intake. Of course everything depends on the budget. With what you listed, it should run well.
Cool and thanks for replying. So much for some saying " Those guys haven't been on in x amount of yrs, do you expect to get a reply".............lmao and smh. I'd rather ask than not :)

Yeah I was going to sell my wrecked 95 complete and just build the 95 I bought last year into a 400 W. I knew there was a chance I was going to have things just sitting around for awhile until sold and didn't want to clutter up the garage or really part out. Well I have decided to just have 2 stangs outside of the Terminator I plan to buy once both cars are done. So yes a budget for each car and I'd rather just use the parts I have that will work decent for the 331. I expect 500 minimum for the 400 for what pieces I will use and so the 331 if I get 335-375 I think I'll be happy. That would be on the low end 44 more hp than I had for over 10 yrs with the 302 and wayyy more torque as well.

I'll give you props. 1 out of the 100 or so threads you have bumped- logged back in and answered.
Seriously man-that's great :)
lol man I'm old school but not old. But I guess I'll never forget what my teacher said "The only dumb question is the one that's not asked" lol. Not totally along the premise but I guess I just feel either someone's going to respond or not and so I'd rather ask than not ........:banana:

Reactions: 1 user