Tried changing a wheel stud with the nut + washers solution -> No success

Xcessiv

Jul 16, 2004
Hi guys,

Last weekend, I tried changing a rear wheel stud by pulling it with a nut + washers, but the nut stripped and stripped the stud at the same time. :(

Did this happen to anybody else?

What could cause this? Already worn nuts? Too much impact force?

Will using a brand new nut solve the problem or if I need to apply another solution?

Thanks for your help.
Regards,
Yan

• Sponsors (?)

I usually heat them, and hit them with a hammer to get them out. Then I just slip in in tight as possible, and suck it in with an impact. I have never had one get damaged on me.

I'll try to eat the flanges and freeze the studs, it may solve my problem. I just wanted to ensure that the failing rate wasn't too high hahaha. I don't wanna strip other ones.

Is it neccisary to yank the axles to change the lug studs ?

No. I just replaced a couple on my rear passenger. It did help to remove the brake caliper so you can nudge the rotor around to get extra clearance though...also had to remove the brake shield.

As for putting them in, it definitely helps to throw the studs in the freezer for a couple hours first. I've also heard of some people coating them with antiseize or adding just a bit of dish soap to the knurls to help pull them through too.

No. I just replaced a couple on my rear passenger. It did help to remove the brake caliper so you can nudge the rotor around to get extra clearance though...also had to remove the brake shield.

As for putting them in, it definitely helps to throw the studs in the freezer for a couple hours first. I've also heard of some people coating them with antiseize or adding just a bit of dish soap to the knurls to help pull them through too.

How do you get them past the tone rings for the ABS ?

I had to change out a damaged rear stud two weeks ago and I had to use a small stack of washers (8 or 9) to pull the stud all the way up. This is what the Ford service manual says is the proper proceedure. It also says NOT to use an impact wrench to do this but to use hand tools to prevent damage. I had no problem at all.