Trimming exterior doors..

AesclepiusCrow

Sep 4, 2009
Hello all, just obtained a 1998 Mustang LX Convertible and am looking to pretty it up a bit. While I've done most of the work myself so far without any extra help, I find myself grasping at straws with this one.

It concerns the door strips running horizontally along the middle of the door about an 3/4s of an inch wide, They resemble bumpers and for the life of me, I can't think of what they're called. However, I'd like them removed to give the door a much smoother appearance.

Does anyone know if these are held in by 3M adhesive tape? Are they bolted on? If so, can anyone provide details as how to remove them in either case? Thanks much in advance.

• Sponsors (?)

Are you talking about this.....

Windowmolding0001.jpg

That is the exterior window molding. It can be removed but you don't want to do that. If removed, the window glass will flop around loosely, WAY too much water will get through instead of a little, and your window may not roll up/down properly. Oh and it'll look like crap.

No, much lower. It's actually about half way down the door and painted the same color as the exterior of the car. It is effectively a narrow bar raised from the side of the car. I had assumed it was a bumper or dent guard and have not yet seen it on any other pictures of a Mustang (hence one of my reasons for wanting them removed.) I will provide pictures if anyone needs them.

Please do (pictures) if you can provide one. No idea what you're talking about. The only thing that sounds familiar are the rubber moldings on the side of Fox Body Mustangs (79 - 93), but the moldings were on 87 - 93's. It goes across the door, part of the fender and around the bumpers. 94 and up Mustangs didn't have this molding.

This here below the door handle, and just above and to the right of the rear fender scoop. It does appear to be held on with adhesive. Question is, how do I remove that without leaving adhesive, etc all over the door? Perhaps it's just for the more "sedan-like" LX models, but these things seem to absolutely ruin the lines and entire point of the door's design.

Attachments

• SANY0002.jpg
    SANY0002.jpg
    132.9 KB · Views: 101
I've seen that on a couple stangs. I just wasn't sure if it was stock or aftermarket. As for removing it, that's gonna be tough. I would saturate it with something like Goo Gone, just along the edges. Wait a few minutes then re-apply more Goo Gone (or Goof Off). Use a plastic scraper to slowly pry it from one end to the other. I have never removed molding, but once while I was working at Ford, I watched one of the other techs remove one. It's a royal PITA. once you finally get it off, use the Goo Gone (or Goof Off) to remove the leftover adhesive. You may wish to try using a heat gun at a SAFE distance and carefully heat up the adhesive to help removal of the trim. Careful to not burn the paint.

also you may want to think about how long thats been on there and how old the car is. the paint will surely be a very noticeable less faded shade of the color of your car.

I removed some ugly racing stripes that werent even on a car for a year and the color difference was crazy. paint fades alot, you just dont notice it when it all happens at the same rate.

Yeah, I've taken that into account, but that's a fantastic point to make. Hopefully, that and many other problems will be resolved when I have it repainted. Thankfully, the paint is a minimal issue do to the paint chipping off the front bumper. I'd already decided to just repaint the whole car to get her looking like a well-cared for pony again.

Thanks much for all the help guys!