Trip and Odometer inoperable

MAGAstang

Apr 19, 2020
San Diego
Good day all. I have 1995 Mustang GT. Have what I thought was a simple issue.

odometer inoperable ,HOWEVER... Speedometer and tachometer work great.
Replaced broken worm gear as well as black gear (broken). Removed any scraps, reassembled and spun gear by hand. Trip and odometer worked. Assemble and drove. Does not move. Disassembled and reassembled. Same result.

What could be the issue ladies and gents. Thanks in advance, Chris

• Sponsors (?)

It's cheaper to find another used complete instrument cluster then to trouble shoot it at this point. The motors that drive the gears have probably gone bad. If the speedo works, but the trip and odeometer gears don't, then the problem is in the instrument cluster.

Kurt

It's cheaper to find another used complete instrument cluster then to trouble shoot it at this point. The motors that drive the gears have probably gone bad. If the speedo works, but the trip and odeometer gears don't, then the problem is in the instrument cluster.

Kurt
Even if when I spin it by hand it operates. I was thinking it was something simple

That's kind of my opinion on it. If the speedo is working, and not the odometer, then the problem is in the instrument cluster. These things are not made to be worked on. Unfortunately there are no new ones. You have to hunt around for a used one that is just as likely to be worn out. So definitely hold onto your old one. You'll need those gears eventually. The instrument cluster I have is a compilation of parts from 4 different instrument clusters I have bought over the years. I have only a rough idea of how many miles are actually on the car.

Kurt

Reactions: 1 user
turns out i am in this same boat. speedo and tach work fine, odometer and trip dont budge. seems i dont have to waste my time trying to figure anything out?
143,000 miles.
The replacment gears are relatively inexpensive like $25 from CJ or LMRand easy enough to install. Just did the ones on my 94 and solved the issue. Just be more carefull than I was and remove your zero stop pins when installing them.

Good day all. I have 1995 Mustang GT. Have what I thought was a simple issue.

odometer inoperable ,HOWEVER... Speedometer and tachometer work great.
Replaced broken worm gear as well as black gear (broken). Removed any scraps, reassembled and spun gear by hand. Trip and odometer worked. Assemble and drove. Does not move. Disassembled and reassembled. Same result.

What could be the issue ladies and gents. Thanks in advance, Chris
Just a thought, when you put the worm gear on the motor 1) did you install it the correct end to the motor? and 2) Did you leave a small gap between the worm gear and the motor? If you pushed it flush against the motor it can create too much resistance and not allow the motor to spin.