Tropical Storm Aftermath PLEASE HELP

Jrod0985

Jun 20, 2011
ok guys i need help... Last night as the left overs of tropical storm lee made their way through i found myself in a flash flood situation, we decided to leave before the water reached the house (which it did very quickly), the problem is on the way to saftey we became stuck between a very fast moving 14 ft deep river behind and about a foot of water in front. Realizing that Mustangs dont make good boats the only choice i had was to go through the water in front....OR get an underwater tour of the local area. As i was driving through a truck came around me so not only did i have a foot of water under me but about 300 gallons splashing on the drivers side. Just as i was about to make it through(while keeping it reved up so nothing when up the tail pipe the car began to stall, two hours later and two different tow trucks, we finally got it back to my office. Checked the Air filter and it was dry as a bone, but when you turn the key you get one loud click and nothing else. I have lights, radio, flasher, fog lights, but no turn over. Every time you put the key in the gauges cycle all the way over (just like when you reset the battery) Which my car usually doesn't do. Pulled the battery and it tested low. Recharged it and nothing changed. Now the other end of this, it was the first time the car has been driven in a week, due to the fact its a manual and i just got over tearing 2 ligaments in my left ankle. Please if anybody has any idea i need them asap

• Sponsors (?)

Sure sounds like a bad battery, bad/loose battery cables.

Have you checked for water in the oil?

If trying to be through, you could confirm that the motor is not hydro-locked by turning over by hand. Use the bolt on the front crank shaft damper. Turn only in a clock wise direction.

If still not able to find the problem, read the battery voltage before cranking. Next bump the starter. What happens to the battery voltage. If the voltage drops real low, it's either a bad battery, bad cable, or the starter is drawing way to much power.

That click was your Mustang refusing to start prior to allowing you to blow it up with water in all the fluids... and they say that a Prius is a smart car. :)

Seriously though.... dry out everything. Put gas dryer in the tank, change your oil, spray brake cleaner into the spark plug ends and under the cap and rotor. Pull your EEC out, dry the connector, inspect it to see if it was penetrated by water.

Use sense and look at anything and everything that might have taken on water... including the starter and solenoid.

A little more knowledge

ok this is where i am so far, i checked the oil and there is no water in it, i pulled the intake and it was wet after all, the mass air flow is soaked and i found a a few drops in the throttle body and a few drops in a vacuum line that attaches to the intake (which leads me to believe the there is water in the heads. Ive been told to pull the plugs and turn it over a few time, the problem is it still will not turn over so that is no good, and where the tow truck dropped the car off is on a hill so i can't put a jack under it to get to the starter (body kit makes it to low to just crawl under)...All of this 3 days before my birthday....fun fun...ok back to the MAF if it had water in it, would that cause the car to go on strike and refuse to start? Im desperate at this point so im just checking

If you want to know one way or the other, attempt to turn the motor over by hand. If it's hydro-locked, you will know it. Stop the guessing.

If it is hydo-locked, you don't want to force it. Further the window of oppertunity to salvage the motor is quickly closing.

If it's hydro-locked, start pulling the spark plugs.

From what I know about MAF not much, but them getting wet or damaged the car should still run but it would run really crappy! Even if water has gotten to the heads and engine it should still turn over! Sounds like you really should try to get the car to level ground!.

Depending on how much water has gotten into your engine, being on the safe side replace all those fluids, get the car to level and check that starter. Good luck my friend!

Edit; do what you can to try and get a good hammer hit or two on that starter

Pull the plugs, spray a little brake cleaner down the hole and let it air for 10-15 minutes. Follow up with just a touch (read very little bit) of WD40 (or equivalent) and put the plugs back in.

Water should not hurt the sensor in any way shape or form so long as the sensor housing didn't get saturated. Air it out and reinstall. MAF sensors get wet all the time. So long as the electronic portions inside of the sensor weren't submerged, you should be fine.

Don't forget to change the oil in your axle housing as well. It's vented and there's nothing to prevent water from entering.

pull the plugs out and jump the starter wire (white w pink tracer IIRC) to the battery. this will bypass the key switch and should turn over the engine unless the starter is toast. same process i used to prime the oil pumps in the new engine installs i have done on a few 4.6's

Update

Ok so here is an update, we tried everything you guys suggested and still could not get the motor to turn over, again not being able to jack the car up ( for saftey reasons) due to its location i finally gave up after a few days in called the insurance company to see if they might cover something like this. He said since i was moving and there were witnesses to the other vehicle running me off into the deep water that there was not going to be an issue. They came and towed it to the local ford dealership. Once up on the rack the mechanic came and got me and the adjuster and said i found your problem. A quarter to half dollar size hole in the block below cylinder 7. Long story short they ruled it hydrolock and agreed to replace the engine and the carpet (which i don't understand cause it never got we other than from me being out in the rain and then getting back in.)
They informed me that all they would put in is a used motor that had 63,000 miles on it (mine had 73,000) I wasn't thrilled because it was coming out of a wrecked car but at least i didn't have to pay for it. When the motor arrived the Ford tech called my adjuster and told him to have the piece of **** picked up that they refused to put it in. Now get this, the motor had a crack in the block and the adjuster asked if they could just weld it up and put the motor in. They said absolutely not. Progressive then called me and said they did not feel the dealership was meeting their timeline and expectations and would I mind them taking it to another shop. I said they could not take it, which by agreement with FORD meant...yep they had to order me a complete reman unit...0 miles....Help to have a best friend who's dad is the sales manager there and can keep you informed step by step. Sorry for the novel but this is a long process.