Trouble installing hedman 88308's, 67fb

mikec35

Jul 6, 2004
NC
Just tried to install the drivers side, the collector hits the transmission pan. I looked at my transmission mount and it appears to have a crack in the rubber. If the transmission mount is bad could that be why the header hits the pan? If not, does anyone have a suggestion on how to remedy? Its a 351w and a c-4. Maybe I should send back for the Hedman shortys? thx...

• Sponsors (?)

It is a matter of trial and error on this one, I had my collector contacting the tranny when I had the C6 in it. I didn't have a problem with it. Do not settle for Shorties, long tubes are the way to go, You can also grind a little bit of clearance in the collector lip, and the torquing over of the engine will dent in the pan a touch, and you will have clearance.

Another thing to try and I cannot take credit for the idea is install the headers with just the collectors and jack up the front of the car. Start the engine and get it Hot than use a piece of wood or a baseball bat and bend the headers to get clearance. :nice:

Clark said:
Another thing to try and I cannot take credit for the idea is install the headers with just the collectors and jack up the front of the car. Start the engine and get it Hot than use a piece of wood or a baseball bat and bend the headers to get clearance. :nice:

I know of one guy who did this with decent luck. I don't know of anyone else who's tried it. I think he used a 2x4. Just make sure you have good jackstands if you go this route.

I just replaced my transmission mount. The whole transmission is sitting off center to the passenger side. Since this is a 351w swap, is it possible that I have the wrong motor mounts, causing the trans not to be centered on the crossmember? I did not do the swap, so I am not sure what mounts the original owner used. Another issue that makes me think the engine mounts might be contributing to this problem is that my motor sits lower than it should. My radiator fan, if I use the original fan, hits the bottom of the radiator shroud. Any thoughts? thx...