trouble mating 5.0 and aod

nisreo

Jul 22, 2006
We got a donor 5.0 from my buddies 86 m/t to go into my girls 86 aod. I swapped the flywheel and removed the bearing thats pressed into the crankshaft. WE dopped the motor in, and got the top 2 motor to trans bolts started fine. Tourqe converter and flywheel are lined up fine.

The problem im having is that I cant get the lower part of the motor and trans to come together. it has maybe a 3/4" gap that wont come together. Ive even tried using a C clamp to pull the block and trans together when I start the bolts. No luck.

The clamp pulls them together until they are about 1/4" apart, then wont go anymore. Ive tried lifting the tranny, but it ends up lifting the whole car.

Any ideas on what could cause the hang up?

Thanks in advance.

• Sponsors (?)

It sounds like the torque converter isn't all the way on the tranny. If you keep trying to force it it will break the tranny. You need to pull it back apart and turn the torque converter until it sinks all the way in place.

Yea thats what im thinking too. It was all the way in when I was dropping in the motor, so it must have popped back out.

When it wouldnt go in with a little pressure with the c clamp, I let off. Knew something wasn't right.

Are the alignment dowels there?Meaning,When I swapped AODs a couple of years ago,I pulled the old tranny,and the dowels stayed in the block.Well,there were dowels in the replacement tranny as well,not letting the engine and tranny go together.

If it's a stock converter there will be three steps as you insert the converter. The pump drive, the outer input shaft and the inner lockup shaft. It does take some patience getting it all to line up. Did you install the motor plate behind the flexplate? Mike

Yea i got the three clicks when I put the converter in... but it may have moved when I put the motor in... The tranny was a little low during the install.

Yes the motor plate is in.

Im going to try to get under there this weekend and see if I can jiggle the converter in without pulling the motor back out.

If I end up having to take it apart, Ill probably drop the tranny instad of the motor. It needs a good cleaning anyway.