Trouble Removing Clutch Adjuster

JD1964

there is enough sticking out to grab on to
15 Year Member
Jun 28, 2013
Maryland
I'm trying to install the aluminum clutch quadrant. I have the seat out to make it easier. I got the retaining pins out of both the factory quadrant and self adjuster. The quadrant and its spring are already off. The spring for the factory self adjusted is off so it rotates freely and slides on the shaft easily. The problem is, under my dash there is a metal bracket that is just barely not letting the adjuster come fully off the shaft. I got the pedal pushed all the way down, even pulled back the carpet and cut the floor insulation to let the pedal go down all the way to try and get clearance so the adjuster will come off. No luck. The vids online show them working on a car that appears to be stripped of everything under the dash. No mention of this spot welded bracket preventing the adjusted from coming off the shaft.

Now what? What do I have to do to get the plastic factory adjuster to clear the bracket and come off?

• Sponsors (?)

On one car it came off real easy for me and my current car was a PITA just as you decribed. It took me nearly an hour under the dash trying to pry it off. There is a little piece of the adjuster that gets hung up on the shaft in addition to very little clearance to push the plastic piece off the shaft. What it came down to was the largest pry bar I could get under there and a lot of patience and it finally popped off. I never want to do this again!!

Oh the woes of the first fox clutch quadrant job. It sucks but the reward is great....you'll never have to do it again ;)

It's been a while...but usually I can rotate the adjusting pawl just right to clear that metal piece. Wiggling the pedal up and down a bit helps, too.

I assume you got it out. I've never used a set screw on my personal cars either. Never had a problem.

I'm trying to install the aluminum clutch quadrant. I have the seat out to make it easier. I got the retaining pins out of both the factory quadrant and self adjuster. The quadrant and its spring are already off. The spring for the factory self adjusted is off so it rotates freely and slides on the shaft easily. The problem is, under my dash there is a metal bracket that is just barely not letting the adjuster come fully off the shaft. I got the pedal pushed all the way down, even pulled back the carpet and cut the floor insulation to let the pedal go down all the way to try and get clearance so the adjuster will come off. No luck. The vids online show them working on a car that appears to be stripped of everything under the dash. No mention of this spot welded bracket preventing the adjusted from coming off the shaft.

Now what? What do I have to do to get the plastic factory adjuster to clear the bracket and come off?
I had the same problem. I took a 12" long 1/8" drill bit and drilled the plastic pawl as shown in the drawing below. A long wood chisel might also work to split the plastic pawl.

?temp_hash=ba3142831354e0b4731f27033708bbf6.gif

Attachments

• Stock quadrant removal.GIF
    Stock quadrant removal.GIF
    9.4 KB · Views: 119
Reactions: 1 user
I have not got it out yet. I had some appointments to get to so I had to walk away. Probably would have walked away even without appointment obligations. I hear ya when you mention rotating the pawl into the right position. I tried that too. I'll have another try tomorrow. Nursing a sinus cold now too. Sorta lost my motivation for lying in a tangled position upside down under my dash.

Reactions: 1 users
one good thing, I coulda swore the screw that holds the clutch fork cover was going to break off in the side of the bellhousing. But it came out....

The quadrant swap sounds like an absolute nightmare.

If it wasn't for the one part, (self adjuster) not wanting to come off the shaft, the job is not that bad.

These type pliers were a big help at getting the retaining pins out. Sometimes people struggle with those too but for me it was no problem.

DA6EDB6D-412A-42D7-B60E-BC1BE4C02E5C.jpg

The quadrant swap sounds like an absolute nightmare.
I've had them go real easy and one that was a pain in the behind but patience prevailed. Basically anything under the dash is a real headache especially a brake booster swap. I've done two brake booster swaps and two clutch quadrant upgrades and I will never do them again!

Got it done earlier today. All good now with full engagement about 3" from the floor. It went pretty smooth after getting the adjuster pawl off. New quadrant went in easy and had no issues installing firewall adjuster.

Remember this one now; The trick to getting the factory adjuster off easy is to first cut the stopper post off of it. This lets the pawl rotate 360 degrees on the shaft. When you flip it over in the right position it easily clears the bracket. With the stopper post still on it, it wont rotate far enough to get the flat side lining up with the bracket. I used a sawzall and it fit right up in there. You could also use a regular hacksaw blade (loose blade). The sawzall went through it in 1.37 seconds. A regular hacksaw blade with get the job done too but might take a few mins. It's plastic so it cuts easy. When cutting the stopper post, pull the clutch pedal towards the seat. This holds the pawl steady so you can make an easy cut.

EF27B02A-BE37-4A16-8AA4-7CA51252347E.jpg

Reactions: 2 users