Trouble removing transmission >:(

MrCleanCoupe

Mar 9, 2006
Ok I got everything out ok but the transmission. It seems the top 2 bellhousing bolts are desiring to be a PITA. I tried taking them out with a 24" 3/8 extention, 10" 3/8 extention, impact 3/8 swivel joint, 13mm socket, attached to a new craftsman professional air wrench that puts out 700lbs of torque, hooked to a 32g air compressor and the bolts won't comeout. The gun just sits there hammering.

Would buying this, to replace the extentions, solve the issue?

Special Transmission Tool

Tools, I am using now, that aren't working:

http://www.sdeonline.us/forum/tool.jpg

• Sponsors (?)

ahhhh them PIA top trans bolts! bring back memories...

Don't bother with extention. If bolts haven't comming out yet with all that you have tried, specialy with 700ft-lb impact gun, it'll prolly not going to come off. better brake out dremle, hang the rear of trans down, and start cuttin! Save yourself a headeck.

I think Tomtom have parts number on those bolts.

wierld thing is, after I cut the head of bolt out, and got trans out of the way, shaft of remaining bolt backed out by just me finger turning it

there is just enough room to snake the dremal in there. I used air powered dremal. it fits. But hits floor side as well. thats no good. So i used small electric dremal. U have to snake it wround just rught. I think I had my right hand on right side of trans, and using small mirror on my left hand from left side of trans to see the progress. its time consuming. But after dealt with that bolt for almost 2 days, I just said "!@#$ it", and started cutting

What would you two (MrcleanCoup and Mitty) do differently if you had to do it again?

I need to replace my TR3650 but can't right now. I plan to rebuild or replace the transmission in the near future.

Maybe I should loosen or remove the two top bolts first?

The transmission has been removed! I ditched the old extentions and the bolts came out with the greatest of ease.

Passenger side top:
1/2" drive 13mm socket, 1/2" Drive swivel joint, 1/2" drive 10" extension. Hit it with the gun and boom comes right out.

Driver Side:
Same as above accept had to add a 1/2" drive 3" extension.

I really am impressed with craftman's top model impact gun. It took bolts off that I couldn't get with a breaker bar. Just make sure not to use 3/8 extensions ;)

trans.jpg