Trouble Setting Timing On 85 Mustang Gt 5.0

Killa

Jul 9, 2007
Install new distributor and I mess up the timing, how do I set up the timing again, and I have problem drop in the distributor all the way down, it go down to catch the gear, but it cant go all the way down. and when that happen, I have to turn the engine a little for it to drop down, and it mess up my timing mark.

• Sponsors (?)

start with the engine at number one cylinder at TDC compression stroke. now install the distributor with the rotor pointing as close to where you want the number one terminal on the distributor to be. since the distributor will likely not fully seat, you turn the crank by hand and push down on the distributor until it does seat. now go back to your initial timing mark, i like 12 BTDC, and adjust the distributor housing so that the rotor points at your designated number one cylinder. by the way, remember to set the distributor in so that you have plenty of adjustment both ways. then wire the distributor with the proper firing order.

that should get you in the ball park to where you can set the timing with the engine running.

it doesnt matter which way you turn the distributor, all you are looking to do is line up the terminal with the rotor so you can rewire the cap properly. remember you are setting your initial timing at 12 degrees, or what ever you prefer, but this is just a rough timing setting that will change slightly after you start the engine up. and yes, when setting the running timing, the vacuum line needs to be disconnected and plugged.

I have hard time starting, its cause my timing not line up correctly right ? I will follow your direction and try tomorrow. Its so cold here.