trouble setting TPS

beaver2489

Founding Member
Feb 26, 2002
st. joseph missouri
I cant get my TPS voltage to go under 2.80v with this Power Products throttle body. I use a voltmeter, red lead on orange wire, black lead on green wire, turn key on and check voltage. The lowest I can set it is 2.80v wtf? I just bought a new TPS in case the other was bad...same problem. Anyone else have this problem with an aftermarket throttlebody. This one I have has 2 allen head screws you loosen to adjust the TPS voltage, not like the stock throttlebody.

• Sponsors (?)

u need to adjust the throttle stop. it sounds like it is too far. what you do is back the stop out till it does not contact the TB. the voltage should go down. then adjust the throttle stop until u start seeing the voltage come around .96-.99 and there you go. if u get into the .90's range, adjust the TPS sensor itself to get it more accurate.

if you look under your T/B, you will see a screw for an allen wrench. or just move your throttle plate under your T/B and see the little screw thing that it contacts. if you have your instructions, it is supposed to tell you to adjust that screw before you do anything.

You are using the wrong wires. The Orange/White wire is the VREF signal, 5 volts from the computer. You use the Dark Green/Lt green wire (TPS signal) and the Black/White wire (TPS ground)

See the following website for some help from Tmoss (diagram designer) & Stang&2Birds (website host)

http://www.veryuseful.com/mustang/tech/engine/images/88-91eecPinout.gif

I just set mine sunday, it's a pain gettin it right on .98, I had it a .97 and tried holding it there, but when I tightened the screws, it must've moved. I tried again, and right now it's set at .92. I'm gonna take some more time to do it again and have a friend help so I don't have to hold the black probe with my mouth..

Measure the voltage between the black wire and the green wire - don't use another ground. The ecu checks the tps voltage each time you start the car and uses that as it's idle reference. As long as it's between .80V and about 1.3V at idle with the throttle closed, things should work fine. If you're have to set it somewhere - put it around .90-.95V.

To set the throttle stop correctly, back the stop screw out so the plate closes all the way. Insert a .003 feeler blade between screw and stop - tighten til the screw just touches the feeler; remove the feeler and turn the screw another 1/4 turn. As a practical matter, I just turn it 1/4 turn more once it touches the stop. Set that BEFORE you set your tps.

Measure the voltage between the black wire and the green wire - don't use another ground. The ecu checks the tps voltage each time you start the car and uses that as it's idle reference. As long as it's between .80V and about 1.3V at idle with the throttle closed, things should work fine. If you have to set it somewhere - put it around .90-.95V.

To set the throttle stop correctly, back the stop screw out so the plate closes all the way. Insert a .003 feeler blade between screw and stop - tighten til the screw just touches the feeler; remove the feeler and turn the screw another 1/4 turn. As a practical matter, I just turn it 1/4 turn more once it touches the stop. Set that BEFORE you set your tps.

Once the throttle stop is set, and the tps is set, with the ignition on, engine off, leave your volt meter hooked up and slowly open the throttle. The voltage should smoothly climb from .95V up into the 4 to 5V range as you open the throttle more.