TrueTrac or Locker?

GSAgentED

Mar 30, 2005
So I finally decided, with the Cervini body kit down, and the mustang looking very pretty(pics soon as rain stops), its time to give her a little more muscle. I will be installing 4.10s, a hurst short shifter, and either a Eaton Truetrac or Locker. The only problem is I can't decide, the mustang is basically a weekend car, I go to the track maybe 10 times a year, but most of my driving is highway. So I need options what do you guys think I should do?

**Note** I do plan FI in the next year as well as suspension upgrades.

• Sponsors (?)

being a old man mine is getting a detroit locker.yea,it may make a little noise or jerk a little but when you hit it from a stand still you now its going to lock both wheels.cant make as much noise as that moaning the stock ones make when you make turns.

I vote locker. I have one in my 69 Fastback and I'll be getting one for the new car and my f150. You won't find a stronger diff. They can be driven through wet corners without snap oversteer if you have good tires. They don't moan, they ratchet in corners but it isn't very noticeable. Sometimes the inside tire chirps, too. I like that sound. Mine is louder going in reverse backing up slowly. The do have a very noticeable drive to coast clunk and they are very sensitive to tire pressure in the rears. Uneven pressures will cause the car to lurch to the low side during on/off throttle events. After a long straight drive they, sometimes, don't like to unlock going around corners but usually do after a loud pop.

It all depends on your planned HP. The Tru-Trac is much better for a daily driver and is good up to about 500 HP. If you plan on going over that level then get the Locker.

Earl

Go with a helical/torsen LSD unit. It locks progressively and is very smooth. The better choice for road racers and autocrossers not to mention that it doesn't wear out like a clutch type LSD which has to be serviced when the packs wear out.

The tru-trac is built by the same company that builds the detroit locker, so quality won't be an issue. As long as both rear wheels are planted to the ground, the tru-trac will give you the same performance as the locker. Lockers have the advantage over lsd when rock crawling if one wheel lifts in the air, it will still pull. not so much an issue with the stang.

Go with a helical/torsen LSD unit. It locks progressively and is very smooth. The better choice for road racers and autocrossers not to mention that it doesn't wear out like a clutch type LSD which has to be serviced when the packs wear out.

The Tru-trac has no clutches (gear drive). I think it's the best option on a pure-street car.

I've got a Richmond powertrax (semi-locker) in my truck and it hucks/bucks quite a bit around corners, not to mention the disturbing *pop*'s! that it makes from time to time. I won't have one of those in my car, no doubt.

I agree, if you only ran straight like in a drag only car, a locker would be fine. But for those who like to get busy in the twisties, a locker can be a pain. The tru-trac as mentioned, has no clutches to ever wear out, doesn't need a modifier, is extremely tough and loves to turn with just a slight tire curp once in a great while. However in a straight line blast it will lay down two solid black marks like it should. I had this unit in my 8.8 in my 04 ranger 4x4. The tru-trac was impressive, it acted like a locker when needed, but handled like an open diff in the twisties. If your not rock crawling, then you don't need the drawl backs of a locker. The TT has the benifits of a locker without the hassle.

When I had a Nissan 240SX I ran an S15 Spec R differential (read Helical LSD same as Truetrac) with Redline Heavy shockproof in the diff and it was bombproof not to mention it was so progressive and smooth that it could go from street driving, to track, to drift without ever skipping a beat or sign of wear.

Keep in mind that there are really two types of differentials when the term “locker” is applied. The selectables like ours, ARB, or Eaton, which can be turned on or off based on the needs of the driver, or the automatic style lockers, Detroit being the most recognized, which senses torque loads and determine when to lock and unlock. Either style is appropriate for certain situations, but being able to turn off the locker and have it totally disappear is, in my opinion, a benefit.