Trying to figure out if engine has been rebuilt.

SmockDoiley

Jun 14, 2003
San Diego, CA
So I've been tearing apart this 460 I got from a yard and it looks really good, but I want to figure out if its been rebuilt before. I dont have any special tools to measure stuff so its all guess work. So far this is what I've got.

The engine is really really greasy so its been in the car for awhile.
All the rods share the same part number so no Kragen rebuilt engine.
The bearings have old Ford stamp and OEM part number on them.
All the bolts look untouched.
No plates or tool stamping on the block to show rebuild.
All the gaskets are there with little or no silicone and I dont see any gaskets of newer technology or that say Felpro or something on them.

The engine itself looks well used but taken care of. The crank is really smooth but the bearings show some gouging or wear, and the cylinder walls are slightly shiny but still have some hone left. And the walls have a slight ridge on the top. The lifter valley looks really clean though so the oil was changed regularly, nor did the oil really smell.

• Sponsors (?)

They are numbered but they come from the factory like that. Also, I've noticed that every single part on the engine including the rear main seal, has a Ford part number on it and none of the parts are stamped newer than the car I got it from. The car was a 78 and all the part numbers are in the late 60s to early 70s. The pistons even have a stock number so they arent aftermarket. I know most people would just get the whole engine rebuilt but Im trying to junkyard jewel this so Im going to throw new rings and bearings in it and call it good. IT wont see many miles or go past 5500 rpms so it should be fine.