Trying to get the damn old shifter out..

txredgt

10 Year Member
Oct 26, 2009
So I got my new to me shifter from a member on here and I'm having no problems what so ever getting down to it until its where it is now. I removed all the necessary bolts and even took off the damn center console to give me some more room to move but it didn't help. My question is to those who either waited to put a short throw on or who like me got my car used without it, how in the world should I go about seperating the (what I assume to be) gasket from the stock shifter to the tranny? I tried some minor tugging and then a screwdriver with a bent tip but none of that seemed to do anything. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

• Sponsors (?)

When I swapped my shifter I remember standing outside of the car and with the shifter in neutral I yanked as hard as I could on it. Suffice to say I got it off but I almost launched myself into a rose bush when the shifter finally came loose :D

A smarter way would probably to get a hair dryer and heat up the seals. then use your screwdriver to pry it off

When I swapped my shifter I remember standing outside of the car and with the shifter in neutral I yanked as hard as I could on it. Suffice to say I got it off but I almost launched myself into a rose bush when the shifter finally came loose :D

A smarter way would probably to get a hair dryer and heat up the seals. then use your screwdriver to pry it off

Sorry to laugh, but:lol::rlaugh:, you just put a serious funny car scenerio in my head! To the OP, do what RedDaemon said.

I had to crawl under the car and hit the old shifter with a screwdriver...it came right off no problems, and i spent about 10 mins trying to pull it out from above, and about 10 seconds under the car it came off with one good tap....

yeah, the factory shifter is a PITA to get off. Best way for me was to just rock it back and forth with some force. It will take some doing but should break free.

Oh and LOL at Daemon :D

Well thanks for the help guys, I put the shifter handle back on it and grabbed the biggest screwdriver I could find and got it out that way... had to go jam the gears afterwards of course!