TURBO Kit Install

94TURBO5 O

Mar 14, 2004
VA
My question is about DIY kits or complete name brand set-ups.
If you had the $$ to do it what would be your choice?

There are a few companies out there but who's putting down the most RWHP and with what type of set-up, DIY or name brand kit?

DIY kits i.e. Zach, Mike and Chris why go with a DIY instead of a complete name brand kit? It seems like it's more fabbing and complicated to install or am I wrong?

Is it worth to go twins or single for the 1/4?

• Sponsors (?)

It's all dependant on your fab skills. and experience Can you MIG weld? Do you have one at your house? Is it an industrial model. If you can't answer yes to most of these questions than I don't suggest DIY. Even if you had great welding/fab skills, not even having somewhat cheap-o welders at your own house is still not ideal, let alone a friend or a hook-up. Having friends that have these at their house will make it better, having FRIENDS who KNOW the SON of a GUY that MIGHT have one at his place two towns over, is the kind of BS you don't want to deal with, and usually is what ends up happening. I'm sorry, I'm not trying to come off like a jack-ass, more just trying to save you from headaches, and emphasizing that it is important for the equipment to be at YOUR house (or possibly a VERY good friend) and even then how good is the equipment. It's all about the tools.

As far as power, there is way to many variables, you'll have decide where and when and how much power you want, and what can your engine handle, and how well your engine flows, blah blah blah. Then you can pick your turbo accordingly. In a basic turbo kit the most important is the charge-cooling, and unit efficiency.

But the beauty is the sky is the limit with a turbo.

DIY for cheap
Name Brand for less overall work

i have a HP kit. its not installed yet. but hopefully sometime it will get into the car. but i was not happy with the quality of welds. and coming to find out that it isn't a bolt on, there's modding to be done to install it. which is not what they advertise.

hopefully chickendreamer chimes in, he just put a HP kit in his also. he could tell you the prblems he had with his bolt on kit.

if i knew how to weld and had a welder and time. i would do a DIY.

and IMO i wouldn't go TT unless i had 350 cubes and up.

there a good book that i picked up called Maximum Boost by corky bell. some good info. if your considering, pick it up.

i'm sure you know about www.turbomustang.com, there's a good amount of info there too.

Thanks for the replies. I'm looking for a complete bolt up kit with absolutely no fabbing involved if possible.

I want a kit for my stock motor now and I'll upgrade as I go. I just would like to find the best one most have been having luck with and are completely satisfied with the workmanship and quality of fit. Easy install is what I'm looking for b/c I want to get this KB off and have the turbo on within 2 days if possible.
So single turbo set up is what I'm looking for then.
I'll head on over to that site and start reading, right away.
I ran 11's with this motor on an S-Trim so I want to at least be that fast with the same motor set up if possible.

question withdrawn? no.

why you taking off the KB? it just got on there.. .unless it's going on the fox.

i don't think you should make a decision that quickly. you're gonna need a few days maybe weeks to read up on enough stuff on turbostangs.com. i think there's more lag with a single turbo, depending on the size... quality sets are $$$$$$$$$. some of the guys on turbomustangs.com make sets, you just gotta be careful who u buy it from. picking the right turbo for ur goals should take a while (unless u just ask somebody w/ a lot of turbo knowledge... )

I love my KB but I'm not getting the most out of this 1800 model. It's having problems with the oil. It's just magically vanishing! :mad: I only drive my car like 10-15 miles and then the blower is empty, not good. :nonono: So in being blunt, this blower is coming off. I can either go with a 2200 KB or go a turbo set-up. Just doing a little investigating since I've already had 2 blower set-ups and wanted to envision a turbo set-up. It looks like a lot of work so I may just go with the KB 2200 and do the turbo over the winter. I haven't had a chance to get any times out of this KB set up and I'm dying to know what I can pull with this on my car. I'm not in the mood for this bastid to seize up on me and mess up everything else on my motor. I got a wad of cash coming in on Monday so we'll see what happens in the next few days on a decision. :shrug:

Already working on your third blower setup... and possibly a fourth by winter? JR, I'm dying to know what you do for a living. I'm still trying to rack up enough for the first kit (Procharger).....

BTW, anyone interested in an 90 cubic inch Eaton roots blower?

LOL! :rlaugh:
I'm a stay @ home DAD.
Seriously I detail cars on contract right here from home. I also day trade and buy options on the energy market. I'm a series 3 & 7 licsened Broker so I'm enjoying these high gas prices. :D I deal with foriegn currencies now and then.
I love my job being at home with my daughter all day and rubbing on the Stang.

My clients pay a monthly fee of $800 and that gives them unlimited details for a month for a specific car or $1200 for a family of cars no more than 3. Most will pay 1/2 a year @ a time. I don't advertise and honest service gets me rec'md to a lot of folks.
We are 100% DEBT FREE b/c no more credit cards. My Wife makes 3 times times the amount to cover of all of our bills. I have to say they key to enjoying all my mods is b/c of no debt. Credit cards will ruin your life financially!!!! :nonono: "JUST SAY NO to CC Interest!!"

Since none of the other guys have posted yet. I'll let you know why I'm doing mine DIY. Have you seen the price of a average turbo kit for a stock based stang. They are around 4k on average. Well price out a turbo, an intercooler, piping, blow off valve, and wastegate. Those are the basics of a turbo kit. Now you'll also need fuel and other electronics, but not all company based kits come with those anyways. I have priced out my complete turbo kit and its under 2k. Thats everything for the turbo and fuel. Now do you see why some of us choose to DIY. It saves.

Jeremy

RC
LOL! :D $$ comes and goes when investing as you know. There are good days and months and there are bad. Just very lucky that the oil market is @ historical highs and we're just riding the wave to the upside until it starts to fall and then "put" options to the downside.

Chris

I'm still reserves for 2 more years.

Dark

I've been pricing out kits last night and I like the PTK kits. I was looking at basically the "Tuner kits" everything except the turbo. Yeah they are $$ for a complete kit. I'm even looking for used kits on Corral classifieds but if it all comes down to buying something new, I like the PTK stuff.
Any opinions on PTK quality?

if you're going to buy a kit and have basically stock stuff on your car (heads, cam, intake, etc.) get something around the 62 series turbo's (that's garret sizing) and about a .81 A/R. That's the things to look for. With that you'll have plenty of room to snap your block in half and it'll spool about 2500-3000 pretty well (with good amounts of boost then) and you can always upgrade your heads etc. later to make it kick in quicker.

the DIY route is good if you're on a tight budget. I"m putting mine together for less thatn 3k for sure. My fiance is getting agrivated cuz i'm using funds for my car instead of my house, but hey, i just want to get it running!!! Oh, and that 3 k is for EVERYTHING including an intercooler that will make chicago summers seem like alaska.
Lee

it seems that alot of people have a long wait time to get their kits with PTK. that just from threads i read on turbomustang.com. i got my HP kit 2 months to the day i ordered it. but i would not recomend them. due to the fact (again) the quality of the welds are very unprofessional. a couple of times i called, cause i was told there was achance i would get my kit early, and was told i would be called back with a delivery date. yeah that never happen. and that was after i called 3 times. the when i get my pipping. both ends of the pipe tht goes from my down pipe to th y pipe. is bent on bothe end. so there's no way this is going to seal up. so i call them, after the phone gets passed around. i was told to put a rag on it and hit it with a hammer. you tell me would you bring a hammer to a kit that you just dropped $4800 on? exactly

john urist have a couple of kits out. but not for our cars. www.hellionpower.com
maybe if you want to wait. hopefully he comes out with a kit for our year.

and i'm always up for donations. my pockets are slim. lol

94SC50 said:
LOL! :rlaugh:
I'm a stay @ home DAD.
Seriously I detail cars on contract right here from home. I also day trade and buy options on the energy market. I'm a series 3 & 7 licsened Broker so I'm enjoying these high gas prices. :D I deal with foriegn currencies now and then.
I love my job being at home with my daughter all day and rubbing on the Stang.

My clients pay a monthly fee of $800 and that gives them unlimited details for a month for a specific car or $1200 for a family of cars no more than 3. Most will pay 1/2 a year @ a time. I don't advertise and honest service gets me rec'md to a lot of folks.
We are 100% DEBT FREE b/c no more credit cards. My Wife makes 3 times times the amount to cover of all of our bills. I have to say they key to enjoying all my mods is b/c of no debt. Credit cards will ruin your life financially!!!! :nonono: "JUST SAY NO to CC Interest!!"
Finally the secret is out. I always wondered which dispersing office in the Corps screwed up and gave you "colonel pay" :D

I went to the PTK site and noticed it did take a long time for kit to be made. I hate waiting for stuff and I'm more like gotta have it now type of person. I also need to be able to have whatever I get on in a few days so I'm thinking of getting this 2200 with all the bells and whistles and start choosing and buying my turbo kit in pieces and do a DIY b/c it only seems sensible to do it that way as most of you have said. I hate spending more than is what's nec. to get the results I want. I'm gonna read the hell outta that turbo site b/c I've got a lot to learn. First n2o, then Vortech, now KB I gotta learn more about. Every damn set up gets more confusing to tune! :mad: It's all good b/c I've been learning a lot about all different types of power adders from exp. and blown hg's. :D

YOU ARE ONE CRAZY ****ER!!! Make up your mind man! At least I figured out why your car is always so clean, what kind of cars do you clean up? Anyways back on topic, did Incon make kits for our cars? My freind had a 93 stock gears, heads and cam with a incon 2x turbo kit+ explorer manifol+ bfg radials+ tremec tranny+ o/r xpipe stock tips and no tune = 11.7 @ 126! With a horrible 60' (1.99) since those tires were way bald. Then he got M/T radials on draglites with skinnys on the front and unfortunatly his car was then stolen, stripped, burned and dumped. Ill have to post pics one day.