Turbo Project Complete. Humps And Bumps

• Sponsors (?)

Back to the track tomorrow da won't be great but still better. I put a little more power in the car, and will drive a little harder. 11.5 will get me kicked out, and that's the goal. Then time for more weigh reduction and cage. I would love to see pics and hear about your cage.

Also took the car across the scale last time at the track. I'm actually surprised at how light the car is. I'd say is fox body light wutch has given me the confidence to put a little more power to the car.

Any way thanks for any good luck and I'll have pics, time slips, and video up tomorrow.

Attachments

• 20180707_164425.jpg
    20180707_164425.jpg
    280.6 KB · Views: 195
  • 20180609_182341.jpg
    20180609_182341.jpg
    127.9 KB · Views: 191
Reactions: 1 user
Bad day... not home yet left time slips in the car, and at my brothers returning the trailer.

12.044 116 1.7 car is blowing a lot of smoke! Oil smoke. Thinking turbo but need to look into it.
That sucks brother! Crap, blowing oil on forced induction. I guess you get a chance to rebuild it.......damn.....sorry.

Symptoms:

Smoke in exhaust
Low load low throttle runs rough and lean
Vacuum gauge is twitchy under throttle

Don't have work for another 11 hours guess I'll go read some spark plugs and go from there.

Time slip:

Attachments

• 20180708_182316.jpg
    20180708_182316.jpg
    192.9 KB · Views: 189
But that's still scary. What caused it? Valve float? PTV contact? Detonation?

That's my worry. Years ago my brother wiped a flat tap cam on that same valve. I'm thinking maybe for whatever reason that lifter drains it's oil, and I lashed it too tight. That combined with maybe valve float.. idk. The video shows it went around the 3-4 shift.

I'm going to put it together loose hope and pray for now.

I'm just watching, learning, and speculating. I'm wondering what led to that. If it went around the shift point, is it because you power shifted? Still on stock limiter @ 6250? Did you ever replace the valve springs? If you're running a stock valvetrain, you should really keep the RPM down. Like... 5k rpm max. Adding boost and back pressure only makes valve float that much more likely. And, these motors are known to float valves above 5500 bone stock. If you're lucky, the floating valve allowed a bunch of stress on that pushrod when it finally slammed home and you just bent the pushrod and not the valve. If PTV, then you likely bent a valve, which would explain your intermittent vacuum. In that case, maybe it's time for an upgrade to aluminum heads and a nicer valvetrain while getting a chance to observe/smooth the piston if it didn't cause too much damage.

So they are heads, they came assembled, with presumably stiffer Springs. Yes stock push rods, the geometry looked OK so I went with it.

Not power shifting well, not trying to but completely possible if I'm off at all... till trying to shift fast. ( especially with a nitrous sn95 next door). I also finally tuned out the flat spot up top (21° after 5k jumping from 13° at 4k), so targeting 5800+ shifts. Rev limiter I have at 6200 and was thinking 6100 (maybe 6) after this..

I really don't want to pull a head again the idea is for the setup to last until winter, but I'll be checking it all out tomorrow hopefully.

I really don't know it could be any thing from a cracked piston to a lose push rod guide.

The twitching vacuum I think/hope is/could simply be that intake valve not opening making short little manifold pressure spikes.

However it goes I'll have a car or an engine build on my hands by this weekend.

There are a couple of things that come to mind. You are lifting heavier valves then stok with unknown spring pressures. You are also running stock pushrods, which are weaker. Are the rockers self centering, I see no guide plates. If they aren't, the pushrods could have been rubbing. You need to at least perform a compression check of that cylinder.

Joe